Subject: [mpls] MPLS Process Draft and Historic Status

From: Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 10:23:13 +0000

Hi,

Kam asked : What does it mean for an RFC to be "Historic"

>From RFC 2026

4.2.4  Historic

   A specification that has been superseded by a more recent
   specification or is for any other reason considered to be obsolete is
   assigned to the "Historic" level.  (Purists have suggested that the
   word should be "Historical"; however, at this point the use of
   "Historic" is historical.)

   Note: Standards track specifications normally must not depend on
   other standards track specifications which are at a lower maturity
   level or on non standards track specifications other than referenced
   specifications from other standards bodies.  (See Section 7.)

Just to clarify, however, we will NOT advance this draft to RFC (of any 
sort) until the MPLS-TP project has completed. So, in particular, this will 
not be marked as Historic until it truly is a description of history. This 
allows us to keep the document flexible and updated as the project develops.

Sasha asked : Could you consider making this a BCP for use by other future 
projects.

My answer is : Yes, maybe. We would have to make some modifications to the 
document in that case, but it is a possible way to handle the document after 
the end of the MPLS-TP project.

Thanks,
Adrian