Subject: Re: [mpls] MPLS Label Ranges

From: Abhishek Verma <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 08:09:57 +0530

Hi,

I see that we have only space left for 16 reserved MPLS labels.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/mpls-label-values/

and there is no explicit range set for experimental/proprietary mpls
label values. Shouldnt we be reserving some range for that kind?

The reason i bring this up is because i want to use some MPLS labels
for a proprietary application within the router and i want to make
sure that i dont recieve those labels from the external world. Given
that there is no mpls label range allocated for this, how can such
applications be implemented?

Thanks,
Abhishek

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 00:07:08 -0500

Abhishek,

Just set aside a range of labels for your special use and don't
advertise them to neighboring routers. Routers are free to advertise
whatever labels they want to their neighbors (as long as they're not
the reserved labels), and conversely to not advertise whatever labels
they don't want to.

You can (and should) drop any MPLS packets that arrive at your
router's ingress interfaces in your special label range, since
neighboring routers should only send MPLS labels that were previously
advertised by your router.

Cheers,
Andy

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Abhishek Verma
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> mpls mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls
>