Subject: [mpls] I-D Action: draft-ietf-mpls-tp-oam-analysis-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 02:28:04 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : An Overview of the OAM Tool Set for MPLS based Transport Networks
	Author(s)       : Nurit Sprecher
                          Luyuan Fang
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mpls-tp-oam-analysis-06.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2011-10-12

   This document provides an overview of the OAM toolset for MPLS based
   Transport Networks.  The toolset consists of a comprehensive set of
   fault management and performance monitoring capabilities (operating
   in the data-plane) which are appropriate for transport networks as
   required in [MPLS-TP OAM Reqs] and support the network and services
   at different nested levels.  This overview includes a brief recap of
   MPLS-TP OAM requirements and functions, and of generic mechanisms
   created in the MPLS data plane to allow the OAM packets run in-band
   and share their fate with data packets.  The protocol definitions for
   each of the MPLS-TP OAM tools are defined in separate documents (RFCs
   or Working Group drafts) which are referenced by this document.

   This document is a product of a joint Internet Engineering Task Force
   (IETF) / International Telecommunications Union Telecommunications
   Standardization Sector (ITU-T) effort to include an MPLS Transport
   Profile within the IETF MPLS and PWE3 architectures to support the
   capabilities and functionalities of a packet transport network as
   defined by the ITU-T.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-oam-analysis-06.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-oam-analysis-06.txt

---

From: "t.petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 18:07:45 +0200

Ross

I had just drafted this when your Last Call came out.

The technical content of this seems to be stabilising, albeit on moving
foundations, but the text seems to offer scope for improvement.

Taking a paragraph at random:

"Continuity Check and Connectivity Verification (CC-V)
[why not CC-CV as in the I-D draft-mpls-tp-cc-cv-rdi ?]
are OAM    operations generally used in tandem, and compliment each other.
[verges on the tautological - either phrase would do]
   These functions are generally run pro-actively, but may also be used
[we once had one proactive, the other on-demand, but I think now both
are proactive but only one on demand]
   on-demand, either due to bandwidth considerations or for diagnoses of
[diagnoses plural? of multiple conditions, or singular diagnosis?]
   a specific condition.  Pro-actively
['Proactively' seems redundant here]
                                                      [MPLS-TP OAM Reqs]
[ugly abbreviation MPLS-TP seems redundant in the context, OAMREQS
would be a more normal RFC-style abbreviation (but I do prefer TEXT to
RFCzzxx)]
states that
   the function should allow the MEPs to monitor the liveness and
   connectivity of a transport path.  In on-demand mode, this function
   should support monitoring between the MEPs and, in addition, between
   a MEP and MIP
[MEP and MIP? not quite what on-demand-cv says]

I;'s not exactly wrong, but seems loose in its wording.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:28 AM
Subject: [mpls] I-D Action: draft-ietf-mpls-tp-oam-analysis-06.txt

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories. This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label Switching
Working Group of the IETF.
> _______________________________________________
> mpls mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls
>
>