Subject: [mpls] I-D Action: draft-ietf-mpls-tp-rosetta-stone-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 03:47:03 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : A Thesaurus for the Terminology used in Multiprotocol Label Switching Transport Profile (MPLS-TP) drafts/RFCs and ITU-T's Transport Network Recommendations.
	Author(s)       : Huub van Helvoort
                          Loa Andersson
                          Nurit Sprecher
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mpls-tp-rosetta-stone-05.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2012-01-17

   MPLS-TP is based on a profile of the MPLS and PW procedures as
   specified in the MPLS-TE and (MS-)PW architectures developed by the
   IETF.  The ITU-T has specified a Transport Network architecture.

   This document provides a thesaurus for the interpretation of MPLS-TP
   terminology within the context of the ITU-T Transport Network
   recommendations.

   It is important to note that MPLS-TP is applicable in a wider set of
   contexts than just Transport Networks.  The definitions presented in
   this document do not provide exclusive nor complete interpretations
   of MPLS-TP concepts.  This document simply allows the MPLS-TP terms
   to be applied within the Transport Network context.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-rosetta-stone-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-rosetta-stone-05.txt

---

From: "t.petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 11:01:15 +0100

This (still) has an erroneous expansion of MEP and MIP at 3.44 and 3.45.

More generally, I think that ME and MEG need more work, as the other thread on
this I-D has shown.

Yet more generally, I think that this I-D must give more sources, references.
Ideally, this I-D would have come first and all the other RFC would have
referenced it.  Instead, all the other RFC came first and included their own
definitions, so we have definitions scattered across dozens of RFC and, like
most distributed database, they are inconsistent.  So, a key role of this I-D
becomes cleaning up after the event, of giving the best definition and referring
back to it and to others that say something different.  M** is a poster child
for this, SPME/PST would be another.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 12:47 PM

>
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories. This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label Switching
Working Group of the IETF.
>
> Title           : A Thesaurus for the Terminology used in Multiprotocol Label
Switching Transport Profile (MPLS-TP) drafts/RFCs and ITU-T's Transport Network
Recommendations.
> _______________________________________________
> mpls mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls
>
>