Subject: Re: [mpls] "opertor" in draft-ietf-mpls-tp-psc-itu

From: "Ryoo, Jeong-dong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 01:42:06 +0000

Loa, thanks for the comments,

While I agree with your points, I don't think this document defines the network operation procedures for MPLS-TP networks.
Therefore, I would like to propose to change the last sentence of your suggested new text as follows:
"For transport network operators accustomed
to the operational procedures for Optical and Ethernet transport
networks this document defines the protocol operations and mechanisms
that result in the same network operation procedures for MPLS-TP networks."
The other sentences are ok with me.

Best regards,

Jeong-dong

________________________________
From : "Loa Andersson" <[email-masked]>
Sent : 2013-11-29 14:13:21 ( +09:00 )
To : [email-masked] <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Cc :
Subject : [mpls] "opertor" in draft-ietf-mpls-tp-psc-itu

Authors/Editors,

Section 4.1 of draft-ietf-mpls-tp-psc-itu-00 uses the term "network
operator" in a way that makes the reader think that this is true for
every network operator.

"..., for network operators it is
important that the MPLS-TP protection switching preserves the network
operation behavior to which network operators have become accustomed."

Admittedly "transport network operators" are a sufficiently large group,
but far from the only once that think of themselves as "network
operators", likely the majority of "network operators" are not for their
operational activities interested or even aware of the commands
described in this document.

My experience is also that the IETF should not tell "network operators"
what is important for them.

Suggested new text (from the beginning of the paragraph):

"Transport network operators run networks based on different
technologies, e.g. optical transport networks, Etherent transport
networks and MPLS-TP networks. Commonality between operational
procedures are important. For transport network operators accustomed
to the operational procedures for Optical and Ethernet transport
networks this document defines the same procedures for MPLS-TP
networks."

/Loa

--

Loa Andersson email: [email-masked]
Senior MPLS Expert [email-masked]
Huawei Technologies (consultant) phone: +46 739 81 21 64
_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 09:45:18 +0800

Jeong-dong,

That works for me!

/Loa

On 2013-12-02 09:42, Ryoo, Jeong-dong wrote:
> While I agree with your points, I don't think this document defines the
> network operation procedures for MPLS-TP networks.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *From : *"Loa Andersson" <[email-masked]>
> *Sent : *2013-11-29 14:13:21 ( +09:00 )
> *To : [email-masked] <[email-masked]>,
> [email-masked]
> <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> <[email-masked]>
> *Cc : *
> *Subject : *[mpls] "opertor" in draft-ietf-mpls-tp-psc-itu
>
>
> Authors/Editors,
>

--

---

From: "Ryoo, Jeong-dong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 02:08:00 +0000

O.K., I will incorporate the text in the next version, if there is no different view on this.

Thanks.

Jeong-dong

________________________________
From : "Loa Andersson" <[email-masked]>
Sent : 2013-12-02 10:45:31 ( +09:00 )
To : Ryoo, Jeong-dong <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Cc :
Subject : Re: [mpls] "opertor" in draft-ietf-mpls-tp-psc-itu

Jeong-dong,

That works for me!

/Loa

On 2013-12-02 09:42, Ryoo, Jeong-dong wrote:
> *From : *"Loa Andersson"
> *To : [email-masked] ,
> , [email-masked]
>
> *Cc : *

--