Subject: [mpls] Document Action: 'Use of Multipath with MPLS and MPLS-TP' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-mpls-multipath-use-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 06:50:21 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Use of Multipath with MPLS and MPLS-TP'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-multipath-use-04.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Stewart Bryant.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-multipath-use/

Technical Summary

   Many MPLS implementations have supported multipath techniques and
   many MPLS deployments have used multipath techniques, particularly in
   very high bandwidth applications, such as provider IP/MPLS core
   networks.  MPLS-TP has strongly discouraged the use of multipath
   techniques.  Some degradation of MPLS-TP OAM performance cannot be
   avoided when operating over many types of multipath implementations.

   Using MPLS Entropy label, MPLS Label Switched Paths (LSPs) can be
   carried over multipath links while also providing a fully MPLS-TP
   compliant server layer for MPLS-TP LSPs.  This document describes the
   means of supporting MPLS as a server layer for MPLS-TP.  The use of
   MPLS-TP LSPs as a server layer for MPLS LSPs is also discussed.

Working Group Summary

   Nothing in particular to note, no controversies and the working is solidly
   behind this document.

Document Quality

    This is an Informational document that has been well reviewed in the
    working, but not external reviews have been necessary.

    As part of the working group reviews it has also been reviewed by 
    the MPLS review team (MPLS-RT) prior to adoption as a working 
    group document.

    No specific implementation review has been done on this 
    document since we don't expect any direct vendor implementations
    of the document; instead the document discusses how the mechanisms
    that have been implemented can  be use. We know of operators
    that has deployed the techniques discussed in the document. 

   The MPLS-RT reviewers has been Mach Chen, Markus Jork, David Allan
   and Carlos Pignataro.

Personnel

    Loa Andersson is the Document Shepherd
    Adrian Farrel is the Responsible Area Director