Subject: [mpls] Consensus call on draft-ietf-mpls-ipv6-only-gap

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 23:11:31 +0200

Working Group,

draft-ietf-mpls-ipv6-only-gap has been been through working group last, 
with only supportive comments.

We also had a Routing Area Directorate review that also did not bring
up any major technical points. However a few points were brought up,
such as

- this is a very important document, but since is a gap analysis it is
   also only document what is true at a certain point time, and the
   half-life of the document will be fairly short and it doubtful if
   there is value publishing it as an RFC.

- There have also be been some ideas that we should move pointers
   pointers to an appendix or remove them entirely. In order to avoid
   mandating certain solutions before the become working group work
   items.

The working group chairs find that the working group have consensus to 
move ahead with the document (version -02) as it has been updated after
the wglc and reviews.

The value in having  the document publish by far outweigh not having it
published. The benefits in moving the reference to an appendix (or
removing them) is not comparable to have easily at hand when reading
the document.

However, once we have this document published as an RFC we understand 
that keeping on updating an RFC is hardly possible to follow the
closing of the gaps. The working group chairs will address this issue
once the RFC has been published.

/Loa
for the working group chairs

-- 

Loa Andersson                        email: [email-masked]
Senior MPLS Expert                          [email-masked]
Huawei Technologies (consultant)     phone: +46 739 81 21 64