Subject: [mpls] AD review of draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-registry

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 23:20:10 -0000

Hi authors, 

Thanks for this simple and useful document.

I've done my usual AD review and I only have a couple of nits to do
with the way the IANA information is present. If you could resolve them
either by telling me I'm a fool or by fixing the text, then we can move
forward.

Thanks,
Adrian

===

Brace yourselves for the IESG saying that this does not Update 4379 and
6424. We'll handle it when it happens :-)

---

Section 2.1 has a final paragraph
   Note that "DS Flags" is a field included in two TLVs defined in
   "Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS) Label Switched Paths (LSPs)
   Ping Parameters - TLVs" registry: Downstream Mapping TLV (value 2)
   and Downstream Detailed Mapping TLV (value 20).  Modification to "DS
   Flags" registry will affect both TLVs.
Is IANA supposed to take any action as a result of this paragraph? Or is
this just an observation for the reader?

If the former: it's not clear what.
If the latter: IANA will be unhappy to find commentary in the IANA 
section. We'll need to delete it or find somewhere else to move it to.

---

Section 2.2

   Assignments of Multipath Types are via Standards Action [RFC5226].

Except there are four that are marked "Experimental" which are
presumably not assigned via Standards Action.

You can fix this by saying:   

   The registration policies [RFC5226] for this registry are:

          0-250     Standards Action
        251-254     Experimental
            255     Standards Action

   IANA is requested to make the following initial assignments

          0    no multipath                             RFC4379
          1    Unassigned
          2    IP address                               RFC4379
          3    Unassigned
          4    IP address range                         RFC4379
        5-7    Unassigned
          8    Bit-masked IP address set                RFC4379
          9    Bit-masked label set                     RFC4379
     10-250    Unassigned
    251-254    Experimental                             This document
        255    Reserved                                 This document
   
---

Similar issue in 2.3 and 2.4

---

Section 4 can presumably be deleted.