Subject: [mpls] Protocol Action: 'Inter-Area P2MP Segmented LSPs' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-seamless-mcast-17.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 14:32:01 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Inter-Area P2MP Segmented LSPs'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-seamless-mcast-17.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alia Atlas and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-seamless-mcast/

Technical Summary

   This document describes procedures for building inter-area point-to-
   multipoint (P2MP) segmented service LSPs by partitioning such LSPs
   into intra-area segments and using BGP as the inter-area routing and
   label distribution protocol. Within each IGP area the intra-area
   segments are either carried over intra-area P2MP LSPs, using P2MP LSP
   hierarchy, or instantiated using ingress replication.  The intra-area
   P2MP LSPs may be signaled using P2MP RSVP-TE or P2MP mLDP. If ingress
   replication is used within an IGP area, then (multipoint-to-point)
   LDP LSPs or (point-to-point) RSVP-TE LSPs may be used in the IGP
   area. The applications/services that use such inter-area service LSPs
   may be BGP Multicast VPN, VPLS multicast, or global table multicast
   over MPLS.

Working Group Summary

   The WG process has been straightforward. There is a general agreement in the
   working group that support for multicast service is needed and that there are 
   synergies if we can use the same method for multiple cases
   
   There have been no controversies around this draft and the support for this 
   document is good.

Document Quality

   We are currently aware of one implementation. 

   There has been no other reviews than the MPLS review team, the WGLC,
   and AD review. No expert reviews are necessary for this document.

Personnel

   Loa Andersson is the Document Shepherd.
   Adrian Farrel is the Responsible Area Director.