Subject: [mpls] Keeping track of MPLS/IPv6 gaps - post RFF 7439 publication

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 13:10:33 +0800

Working Group,

"Gap Analysis for Operating IPv6-Only MPLS Networks" (RFC 7439) was
published about a month ago.

One thing that brought up when progressing this document was that,
even though the document is a good start and extremely useful, we will
need a way to keep keep track of the MPLS/IPv6 gaps.

It has been suggested that this environment is likely to be "fluid,
i.e. new gaps are discovered and old are closed.

One idea that brought forward was that we should create a wiki-page
for this. However this discussion was deferred waiting for the
publication of the RFC.

We would now like comments on how to continue to keep track of the
MPLS/IPv6 gaps in general and the idea to do this via a wiki-page in
particular.

/Loa
mpls wg co-chair

-- 

Loa Andersson                        email: [email-masked]
Senior MPLS Expert                          [email-masked]
Huawei Technologies (consultant)     phone: +46 739 81 21 64

---

From: "George, Wes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 09:28:05 -0500

Well, I think the solution depends on where in the new framework of the
Routing Area the work ends up, because there may be more groups than this
one that need to be involved in the discussion of how to track/address.

My preference would be to have milestones or charter items added in the
appropriate WGs, and to have the drafts that are written to address the
gap formally update RFC7439 so that there is a link between the documents,
I.e. "This document updates RFC7439 by closing the gap discussed in
section(s) x.y." This follows a relatively standard process using the
tools we already use, and puts a defined work item in place to ensure that
gaps are addressed in a timely manner by the right folks.

I'm not totally opposed to setting up a Wiki, but IMO a wiki would be just
one more place where we need to track potential work items, and honestly,
one more place for them to be ignored. It raises the question of not only
who is responsible for entering the initial items, but who is responsible
for tracking which WG and authors are working on fixes in which drafts,
and whether the proposed solution actually does fix the identified gap,
and what is to be done if gaps are sitting idle and unaddressed. That
seems like a full-time job to me, one that the AD certainly doesn't have
time for, the WG chair or secretary may not have scope for (if the work
spans multiple WGs), and I as one of the authors of the gap analysis
personally cannot sign up for.

Perhaps the right thing to do is to tee this discussion up for the next
Routing Area open meeting, or even a plenary, since tracking and resolving
gap analyses is something that needs to be improved IETF-wide. I'm open to
writing a quick BCP draft suggesting the above if people believe that it
would be a useful way to have the discussion with a wider audience.

Thanks,

Wes

On 2/5/15, 12:10 AM, "Loa Andersson" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>mpls mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout.

---

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 11:54:02 -0500

Wes,

I sympathize that a wiki is another place that can get out of date - but it
is
at least a common public place that can be viewed.

We may want to find a coordinator to track what's happening, keep the wiki
up to date, and encourage the work.   I don't think that's a full-time job
but
something that someone who is interested in the subject (say for a day-job
doing the implementation) might be interested in.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Alia

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 9:28 AM, George, Wes <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
> proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to
> copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely
> for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you
> are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that
> any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to
> the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and
> may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify
> the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of
> this E-mail and any printout.