Subject: [mpls] Protocol Action: 'mLDP Node Protection' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-node-protection-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 18:55:00 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'mLDP Node Protection'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-node-protection-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-node-protection/

Technical Summary

 This document describes procedures to support node protection for
   P2P and MP2MP LSPs built by  mLDP.  In order to protect a node N,
   the Point of Local Repair (PLR) of N must learn the Merge Point (MPT)
   LSR(s) of node N to be able to redirected traffic if node N fails.  Redirecting
   the traffic around the failed node N depends on existing P2P LSPs
   from the PLRto the MPTs bypassing node N. 
   The procedures to setup these P2P LSPs are outside the scope of
   this document, but one could use RSVP-TE or LDP LFA based
   techniques to accomplish this.

   The solution described in this document signals the MPT LSR(s) to the
   PLR LSR(s) via a Targeted LDP (tLDP) session [RFC5036].  By having a
   tLDP session with the PLR, most of the mLDP features currently
   defined should just work, like Make-Before-Break (MBB), Graceful
   Restart (GR), Typed Wildcard FEC support, etc.  All this is achieved
   at the expense of having an additional tLDP session between an MPT
   and PLR. 

Working Group Summary

  Nothing worth noting. 

Document Quality

Currently no known implementations.
   
Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Loa Andersson 
   Who is the Responsible Area Director?  Deborah Brungard