Subject: [mpls] Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-self-ping-04.txt> (LSP Self-Ping) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 13:22:34 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Multiprotocol Label Switching WG
(mpls) to consider the following document:
- 'LSP Self-Ping'
  <draft-ietf-mpls-self-ping-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-10-02. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   When certain RSVP-TE optimizations are implemented, ingress LSRs can
   receive RSVP RESV messages before forwarding state has been installed
   on all downstream nodes.  According to the RSVP-TE specification, the
   ingress LSR can forward traffic through an LSP as soon as it receives
   a RESV message.  However, if the ingress LSR forwards traffic through
   the LSP before forwarding state has been installed on all downstream
   nodes, traffic can be lost.

   This memo describes LSP Self-ping.  When an ingress LSR receives an
   RESV message, it can invoke LSP Self-ping procedures to ensure that
   forwarding state has been installed on all downstream nodes.

   LSP Self-ping is an extremely light-weight mechanism.  It does not
   consume control plane resources on transit or egress LSRs.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-self-ping/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-self-ping/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2476/