Subject: [mpls] Ben Campbell's No Objection on draft-ietf-mpls-app-aware-tldp-08: (with COMMENT)

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 07:48:36 -0700

Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-mpls-app-aware-tldp-08: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-app-aware-tldp/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

(I cleared my discuss. Alexey pointed out that the registration policies for
unassigned ranges are explicitly mentioned in the table itself. Apologies, I
missed that.)

-General:  When you use the word "application", is a person skilled in MPLS
automatically going to think in terms of the sort of "applications" listed
here? If not, it would be good to have a paragraph early in the introduction
that describes what you mean by "applications". As an application-layer person,
I tend to think of it in terms of application-layer applications. Am I correct
to assume that it would not make sense to register, for example, HTTP in the
the LDP Targeted Application Identifier registry?

- 1.1: I noticed a number instances of at least "may" in lower case. If your
intent is that lower case words not be treated as keywords, please consider
using the new boilerplate from RFC 8174

Nits:

-1, first paragraph: "LDP uses extended discovery mechanism..."
Missing article before "discovery".

-2.2, paragraph 4 and 5, "... a maximum value, as 0xffff.": should "as" be
"such as"?

-2.2, paragraphs 6 and 7: the "it" in the opening sentence of each paragraph
has an unclear antecedent.

---

From: Santosh Esale <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 21:08:27 +0000

Hello Ben, Please see inline for answers.

>https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-app-aware-tldp/
Correct. 
Also added the following definition of application to first paragraph -
Targeted 
LDP application is an application that uses tLDP session to exchange
information 
such as FEC-Label bindings with a peer LSR in the network.

>using the new boilerplate from RFC 8174

Updated.

>Missing article before "discovery".

Updated.
>-2.2, paragraph 4 and 5, "... a maximum value, as 0xffff.": should "as" be

Yes. Updated.

>has an unclear antecedent.

‘it’ was referring to an antecedent from the previous paragraph.
Can ‘it' jump over to refer to the noun in the previous paragraph ? :)
Updated to replace ‘it’ with the ‘noun’ .
Thanks,
Santosh on behalf of Authors

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2017 00:02:40 -0500

Hi,

Your responses resolve all of my comments.

Thanks!

Ben.

> On Jun 23, 2017, at 4:08 PM, Santosh Esale <[email-masked]> wrote:
>