Subject: [mpls] OAM thoughts for draft-farrel-mpls-sfc

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 19:10:47 -0000

Hi,

An offline MPLS-RT review asked...

> One thing I missed in the doc is the OAM considerations and operational
> aspects.
> Is there a separate doc, describing those aspects? If so, please add 
> reference. If not, I would like to see those details, within or outside
> of this doc.

Obviously (?) OAM for MPLS-SFC is critically important.

But we don't want to get ahead of the NSH work being done in the SFC working
group. Ideally we would model that work, however, the SFC WG has a way to go
before concluding an OAM approach.

What I would offer at this stage is that the MPLS forwarding plane already has a
number of OAM techniques and tools. Furthermore, the metadata approach described
in this document allows OAM packets to be sent along the path of the SFP
interspersed with data packets. (See also draft-farrel-sfc-convent)

Adrian
--
Support an author and your imagination
Tales from the Wood - Eighteen new fairy tales
More Tales from the Wood - Eighteen MORE new fairy tales
Tales from Beyond the Wood - A bumper collection of twenty-two new tales
https://www.feedaread.com/profiles/8604/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tales-Wood-Adrian-Farrel/dp/1786100924
Or buy from me direct