Subject: [mpls] Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-sfc-04.txt> (An MPLS-Based Forwarding Plane for Service Function Chaining) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 11:52:48 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Multiprotocol Label Switching WG
(mpls) to consider the following document: - 'An MPLS-Based Forwarding Plane
for Service Function Chaining'
  <draft-ietf-mpls-sfc-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2019-01-31. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Service Function Chaining (SFC) is the process of directing packets
   through a network so that they can be acted on by an ordered set of
   abstract service functions before being delivered to the intended
   destination.  An architecture for SFC is defined in RFC7665.

   The Network Service Header (NSH) can be inserted into packets to
   steer them along a specific path to realize a Service Function Chain.

   Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) is a widely deployed forwarding
   technology that uses labels placed in a packet in a label stack to
   identify the forwarding actions to be taken at each hop through a
   network.  Actions may include swapping or popping the labels as well,
   as using the labels to determine the next hop for forwarding the
   packet.  Labels may also be used to establish the context under which
   the packet is forwarded.

   This document describes how Service Function Chaining can be achieved
   in an MPLS network by means of a logical representation of the NSH in
   an MPLS label stack.  It does not deprecate or replace the NSH, but
   acknowledges that there may be a need for an interim deployment of
   SFC functionality in brownfield networks.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-sfc/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-sfc/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.