Subject: [mpls] Murray Kucherawy's No Objection on draft-ietf-mpls-spl-terminology-05: (with COMMENT)

From: Murray Kucherawy via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 23:59:08 -0800

Murray Kucherawy has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-mpls-spl-terminology-05: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-spl-terminology/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm tempted to DISCUSS this, but for now I'll just ask it:

Can an IANA registry be a normative reference?  There are three here.

---

From: tom petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 11:36:30 +0000

From: mpls <[email-masked]> on behalf of Murray Kucherawy via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Sent: 19 January 2021 07:59

<tp>
Murray

Try RFC3813 (amongst many others)

Tom Petch

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 08:32:57 -0500

> Can an IANA registry be a normative reference?  There are three here.

Why not?  It's not typical, but if understanding the contents of the
registry is important to understanding this document, then it seems to
qualify.  And it's certainly a stable reference.

I guess the only concern would be that the content of the registry can
(is actually expected to) change, but it's also the case that this
document would be best served by referring to the current content of
the registry at the time of reading, rather than having it fixed at
the time if publication.  So it seems to work there as well.

All boxes ticked for me.

Barry

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 10:59:14 +0800

Murray,

Can we consider the comment responded to?

/Loa

Sent from my iPhone

> On 19 Jan 2021, at 21:33, Barry Leiba <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
>>

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 00:08:20 -0800

Yes, thanks.  I think this is just the first time I've run into this, so I
wanted to check.