Subject: [multimob] Get back to work

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 12:52:24 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all,
  Now that the summer is almost over, we need to get back to work  and give an end to the silence on the list .
  As we are aiming at a BOF meeting in Vancouver, Suresh and I would like to solicit people to submit drafts on the problems, analysis and most importantly on the solutions. Please submit your draft, announce it here and try to create some discussion.
  Regards,

Behcet

----- Original Message ----
From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 5:24:07 PM
Subject: [multimob] multimob@IETF69 Meeting summary

Hi Folks,
   Here is a summary of the multimob meeting we had at IETF69. It is a 
subjective view of what happened at the meeting. Let me know if you have 
any issues, comments, or corrections.

multimob@IETF69 Summary
=======================
The goal of the bar BOF was to identify the problems that need to be 
solved in the near future. The secondary goal of the bar BOF was to 
identify the working groups in the IETF that can do the work (if any). 
The attendance for the bar BOF was as expected (27 people) covering 
researchers, implementers and operators. The problem statements were 
presented. The presentations were followed, and sometimes interrupted, 
by related discussions.

Three approaches to multicast mobility were discussed

* Remote Subscription
* Bidirectional tunneling
* Agent based

Some of the people in the meeting believed that the problems to be 
solved need to be defined by the operator (The majority,I believe). 
There were other vocal critics who believed that this is not the right 
approach to follow since the operators typically lag behind in multicast.

After the ensuing discussions, it became clear that the problems that 
need to be solved are the following

* Receiver mobility
   Issues due to latency
   * join latency - can be fixed with link layer indicators
   * leave latency - much harder to fix, may require changes to MLD,PIM

* SSM issues with mobility

Problems which are out of scope for now

* Sender mobility

These problems can theoretically be solved by extensions to existing 
unicast mobility protocols like {,f,h,p}mipv6 and extensions to 
multicast protocols like MLD and pmip6.

Conclusion
==========
We need to put in further effort to investigate if these fall under the 
charter of current working groups or not. We also need to come up with a 
collective list of requirements to work on. Further work will be done on 
the mailing list.

Cheers
Suresh

_______________________________________________
multimob mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/multimob

_______________________________________________
multimob mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/multimob