Subject: [multimob] Last Call: <draft-ietf-multimob-fmipv6-pfmipv6-multicast-08.txt> (Multicast Listener Extensions for MIPv6 and PMIPv6 Fast Handovers) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 09:09:43 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Multicast Mobility WG (multimob)
to consider the following document:
- 'Multicast Listener Extensions for MIPv6 and PMIPv6 Fast Handovers'
  <draft-ietf-multimob-fmipv6-pfmipv6-multicast-08.txt> as Experimental
RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-09-30. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Fast handover protocols for Mobile IPv6 (MIPv6) and Proxy Mobile IPv6
   (PMIPv6) define mobility management procedures that support unicast
   communication at reduced handover latency.  Fast handover base
   operations do not affect multicast communication, and hence do not
   accelerate handover management for native multicast listeners.  Many
   multicast applications like IPTV or conferencing, though, comprise
   delay-sensitive real-time traffic and will benefit from fast handover
   completion.  This document specifies extension of the Mobile IPv6
   Fast Handovers (FMIPv6) and the Fast Handovers for Proxy Mobile IPv6
   (PFMIPv6) protocols to include multicast traffic management in fast
   handover operations.  This multicast support is provided first at the
   control plane by a management of rapid context transfer between
   access routers, second at the data plane by an optional fast traffic
   forwarding that may include buffering.  An FMIPv6 access router
   indicates support for multicast using an updated Proxy Router
   Advertisements message format.

   This document updates RFC5568 "Mobile IPv6 Fast Handovers".

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-multimob-fmipv6-pfmipv6-multicast/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-multimob-fmipv6-pfmipv6-multicast/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.