Subject: [multipathtcp] I-D Action: draft-ietf-mptcp-congestion-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 05:58:17 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Multipath TCP Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Coupled Congestion Control for Multipath Transport Protocols
	Author(s)       : Costin Raiciu
                          Mark Handley
                          Damon Wischik
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mptcp-congestion-04.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2011-06-15

   Often endpoints are connected by multiple paths, but communications
   are usually restricted to a single path per connection.  Resource
   usage within the network would be more efficient were it possible for
   these multiple paths to be used concurrently.  Multipath TCP is a
   proposal to achieve multipath transport in TCP.

   New congestion control algorithms are needed for multipath transport
   protocols such as Multipath TCP, as single path algorithms have a
   series of issues in the multipath context.  One of the prominent
   problems is that running existing algorithms such as standard TCP
   independently on each path would give the multipath flow more than
   its fair share at a bottleneck link traversed by more than one of its
   subflows.  Further, it is desirable that a source with multiple paths
   available will transfer more traffic using the least congested of the
   paths, hence achieving resource pooling.  This would increase the
   overall efficiency of the network and also its robustness to failure.

   This document presents a congestion control algorithm which couples
   the congestion control algorithms running on different subflows by
   linking their increase functions, and dynamically controls the
   overall aggressiveness of the multipath flow.  The result is a
   practical algorithm that is fair to TCP at bottlenecks while moving
   traffic away from congested links.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mptcp-congestion-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mptcp-congestion-04.txt