Subject: [multipathtcp] compiling MPTCP on Red Hat based systems (Scientific Linux)?

From: Ronald van der Pol <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 16:45:07 +0200

We are trying to compile an MPTCP kernel on a Red Hat based system
(Scientific Linux, Fedora). Did anybody succeed in this? If so,
please let us know how you did this.

E.g., when copying the MPTCP kernel source to a Red Hat kernel build
infrastructure we do not see the "MPTCP protocol" option in
"make menuconfig".

	rvdp

---

From: Christoph Paasch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 17:02:02 +0200

Hello,

> infrastructure we do not see the "MPTCP protocol" option in

you will have to disable "SYN_COOKIES", "TCP_MD5SIG" and "NET_DMA". 
Additionally, IPv6 cannot be set as a module. Either enable it as fully 
compiled inside the kernel, or disable it.
For more info, have a look here: 
http://mptcp.info.ucl.ac.be/pmwiki.php?n=Users.DoItYourself

Cheers,
Christoph

-- 
IP Networking Lab --- http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be
MultiPath TCP in the Linux Kernel --- http://mptcp.info.ucl.ac.be
Université Catholique de Louvain
--

---

From: Ronald van der Pol <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 17:12:58 +0200

> http://mptcp.info.ucl.ac.be/pmwiki.php?n=Users.DoItYourself

We did this. We see the first three options, but there is no
"Networking support->Networking options->TCP/IP networking->
MPTCP protocol (MPTCP)" option.

What we did is install the kernel build environment as described on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel and replaced
rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-3.5.fc17/linux-3.5.1-1.fc17.i686
with the MPTCP sources from git.

	rvdp

---

From: Christoph Paasch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 17:23:49 +0200

> MPTCP protocol (MPTCP)" option.

Maybe check your .config-file and see if there is something like:
# CONFIG_MPTCP is not set

Make sure that IPv6 is not a module.
And - just to be sure - check if there exists a directory net/mptcp/ in the 
sources.

> with the MPTCP sources from git.

I'm not familiar with the Fedora build-process. The Ubuntu-way is also quite 
tricky.

If you don't absolutly need to generate an RPM, maybe it would be enough to 
simply checkout the sources and compile with "make" and install with "make 
install".

Cheers,
Christoph

---

From: Ronald van der Pol <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 16:43:42 +0200

> We are trying to compile an MPTCP kernel on a Red Hat based system

Oops. Sorry. Wrong mailing list. It was meant for the Linux kernel
development list (mptcp-dev).

	rvdp