Subject: [multipathtcp] RFC 6897 on Multipath TCP (MPTCP) Application Interface Considerations

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 17:36:18 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6897

        Title:      Multipath TCP (MPTCP) Application Interface 
                    Considerations 
        Author:     M. Scharf, A. Ford
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      31
        Characters: 75704
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mptcp-api-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6897.txt

Multipath TCP (MPTCP) adds the capability of using multiple paths to
a regular TCP session.  Even though it is designed to be totally
backward compatible to applications, the data transport differs
compared to regular TCP, and there are several additional degrees of
freedom that applications may wish to exploit.  This document
summarizes the impact that MPTCP may have on applications, such as
changes in performance.  Furthermore, it discusses compatibility
issues of MPTCP in combination with non-MPTCP-aware applications.
Finally, the document describes a basic application interface that is
a simple extension of TCP's interface for MPTCP-aware applications.

This document is a product of the Multipath TCP Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC