Subject: [multipathtcp] Multipath TCP and experimental options

From: Olivier Bonaventure <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 10:43:43 +0200

Hello,

RFC6824 defines Multipath TCP options number 0x0-0x7. Values
0x8 through 0xe are currently unassigned and value 0xf is
reserved for Private Use within controlled testbeds.

The number of possible Multipath TCP options is rather limited and 50% 
of the Multipath TCP options are already assigned.

Several researchers have proposed new Multipath TCP options and there 
are some use cases where it could be useful to define new Multipath TCP 
options. To prevent an anarchic utilisation of the unassigned Multipath 
TCP options, it could probably be useful to support a shared use of 
Multipath TCP options as defined in RFC6994 for regular TCP in 
rfc6824bis. Unless codepoint 0xf has already been used in some private 
controlled testbeds, we could reuse this codepoint to support a shared 
use of Experimental Multipath TCP options.

If this makes sense for the WG, I can write a short draft that could be 
discussed in Prague.

Olivier

---

From: Yoshifumi Nishida <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 00:04:12 -0700

Hi Olivier,
I personally think this makes sense.
A question will be how to avoid conflicts between experiments, but I guess
we could use the reserved field.
--
Yoshi

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 1:43 AM, Olivier Bonaventure <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> The number of possible Multipath TCP options is rather limited and 50% of
> the Multipath TCP options are already assigned.
>
> Several researchers have proposed new Multipath TCP options and there are
> some use cases where it could be useful to define new Multipath TCP
> options. To prevent an anarchic utilisation of the unassigned Multipath TCP
> options, it could probably be useful to support a shared use of Multipath
> TCP options as defined in RFC6994 for regular TCP in rfc6824bis. Unless
> codepoint 0xf has already been used in some private controlled testbeds, we
> could reuse this codepoint to support a shared use of Experimental
> Multipath TCP options.
>
> _______________________________________________
> multipathtcp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/multipathtcp
>