Subject: [multipathtcp] Extension of MPTCP socket interface for selecting the scheduler to be used

From: Igor Lopez Orbe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2015 12:38:33 +0100

Hello,

I am wondering if it could be possible to extend the Socket Interface
Extensions described in RFC 6897 in order to select the scheduled used
by MPTCP for a connection. During last months multiple scheduler
proposals have been released. Each scheduler is optimal for a concrete
application and different applications, with different associated
schedulers, could coexist in the same node. Thus, the extension of the
Socket Interface would allow to define the most proper scheduler by each
application.
As an example of this, we have recently submitted a redundant delivery
scheme [1] for services that demand low latency and high reliability
communications. These services could coexist in the same node with other
services with more regular requirements and therefore using other
schedules that care more about the network use. For that, the best idea
seems to be able to define in the socket the scheduler that is aim to be
used in that MPTCP connection.

Best regards,

Igor

[1] https://github.com/i2t/rmptcp

-- 
Igor Lopez Orbe <[email-masked]>
I2T Research Group, Department of Communications Engineering
University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU)

---

From: "Scharf, Michael (Michael)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 16:25:47 +0000

We had many discussions on that when writing RFC 6897, but at that time it was consensus in the WG to wait for more implementation experience.

A future extension of RFC 6897 has always been on the table, see e.g. Appendix A. But I'd suggest to closely align any follow-up document with actual implementations.

Michael 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: multipathtcp [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Igor Lopez Orbe
> Sent: Monday, November 02, 2015 12:39 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [multipathtcp] Extension of MPTCP socket interface for
> selecting the scheduler to be used
> 
> Hello,
> 
> _______________________________________________
> multipathtcp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/multipathtcp