Subject: [multipathtcp] [Errata Verified] RFC7430 (4565)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 13:12:13 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been verified for RFC7430,
"Analysis of Residual Threats and Possible Fixes for Multipath TCP (MPTCP)". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=7430&eid=4565

--------------------------------------
Status: Verified
Type: Technical

Reported by: Fabrizio Demaria <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2015-12-14
Verified by: Martin Stiemerling (IESG)

Section: 6

Original Text
-------------
   Summary of the attack:

      Type of attack: An attacker that can intercept the SYN/JOIN
      message can alter the source address being added.

      Type of attacker: partial-time on-path eavesdropper

   Description:

   The attacker is present along the path when the SYN/JOIN exchange
   takes place.  This allows the attacker to add any new address it
   wants to by simply substituting the source address of the SYN/JOIN
   packet for one it chooses.  This vulnerability was readily identified
   when designing the MPTCP security solution [RFC6181], and the threat
   was considered acceptable.

Corrected Text
--------------
   Summary of the attack:

      Type of attack: An attacker that can intercept the SYN/JOIN
      message can alter the source address being added.

      Type of attacker: partial-time on-path active attacker

   Description:

   The attacker is present along the path when the SYN/JOIN exchange
   takes place.  This allows the attacker to add any new address it
   wants to by simply substituting the source address of the SYN/JOIN
   packet for one it chooses.  This vulnerability was readily identified
   when designing the MPTCP security solution [RFC6181], and the threat
   was considered acceptable.

Notes
-----
As noted in section 1, an active attacker is able to change, discard, or delay some of the packets of the MPTCP session. This coincide with the description of the SYN/JOIN attack in section 6.

--------------------------------------
RFC7430 (draft-ietf-mptcp-attacks-04)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Analysis of Residual Threats and Possible Fixes for Multipath TCP (MPTCP)
Publication Date    : July 2015
Author(s)           : M. Bagnulo, C. Paasch, F. Gont, O. Bonaventure, C. Raiciu
Category            : INFORMATIONAL
Source              : Multipath TCP
Area                : Transport
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG