Subject: [multipathtcp] Multipath TCP Address advertisement 3/5 - Backup make after break

From: Fabien Duchêne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 17:44:50 +0200

Hello,

As agreed in Berlin during IETF96, I'm sending a series of emails to
discuss the different contributions proposed in:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-duchene-mptcp-add-addr/

This is the part 3/5 : Backup make after break.

There are use cases where hosts would prefer to establish an additional
subflow only after the failure of the initial one.
This would correspond to a break-before-make scenario. Multipath TCP did
not select between break-before-make and make-before-break.
We propose to support this distinction by adding the "B" (for backup)
flag in the ADD_ADDR option.
When set, this flag would indicate that the announced address should
only be used to establish subflows if all the subflows established with
addresses without the B flag have failed.

Cheers,

Fabien

---

From: Christoph Paasch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 14:03:06 -0700

> On Aug 10, 2016, at 8:44 AM, Fabien Duchêne <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hello,
> 

+1 on this proposal!

Christoph