Subject: Re: [multipathtcp] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-bonaventure-mptcp-converters-02.txt

From: Olivier Bonaventure <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 14:45:21 +0100

Hello,

Here is some context information about the latest revision of the 
converter draft.

> Name:           draft-bonaventure-mptcp-converters
> Revision:       02
 > URL: 
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bonaventure-mptcp-converters-02.txt
> Title:          0-RTT TCP Converter

You can find the full diff at :

https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-bonaventure-mptcp-converters-02

The new version of the draft has benefited from discussions with two 
implementors and other IETFers that have lead to many editorial changes. 
We have mainly tried to improve the readability of the document and make 
it easier for implementors to support the converter protocol.

The main modifications are the following :

1. Introduction

We have update the motivation for the utilisation of converters

2. Applicability

The document is now written with the assumption of the Multipath TCP to 
TCP conversion because there is a clear demand for this feature.

3. Architecture

We have improved the explanation and added a description of the 
Bootstrap process.

We have also clarified a point that was raised by implementors. In the 
"graphical" description of the protocol at IETF99, we showed figures like :

                             Transport
    Client                   Converter                       Server
         -------------------->
         SYN, MPC [->Server:port]

                                     -------------------->
                                           SYN, MPC

                                     <--------------------
                                             SYN+ACK, MPC
         <--------------------
           SYN+ACK, MPC [ MPC supported ] (*)

         -------------------->
             ACK, MPC
                                     -------------------->
                                              ACK, MPC

The packet with a (*) indicates that the converter confirms the
establishment of the connection with the client (the SYN+ACK) and 
provides a converter TLV in the payload to indicate that the Server 
supports Multipath TCP. In practice, an implementation will likely send 
this information in two packets : the SYN+ACK and a packet containing 
the data. We have clarified in the text that this is a perfectly valid 
behaviour, although the figures only show a single arrow for graphical 
reasons.

4. The converter protocol

We have clarified the format of some messages and updated some error 
codes. We have also removed some examples to make the text more compact.

5. Interactions with middleboxes

Editorial changes only

6. Security considerations

We have expanded this section

Best regards,

Olivier Bonaventure