Subject: Re: QType: ADDR

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 13:01:10 -0500

on 8/8/2002 12:45 PM Ted Lemon wrote:
>> Requiring applications to issue 2x the queries (until the majority of
>>  nodes have AAAA RRs) doesn't help anybody. Consider also that
>> negative caching has different ramifications (typically shorter TTLs)
>> which mean that the first query (failure) will get passed along more
>> often. An ADDR qtype can help against these potential problems
>> somewhat.
>
> Nobody, so far, has agreed with you that ANY is a good thing for
> applications to use.

I haven't said so myself.

This doesn't mean I don't think people won't do it. History clearly shows
otherwise.

> Honestly, I think you are getting into optimization mentality here -
> you see a way to do things "more efficiently", and you want to use it,
> even though you don't have any practical experience that says that your
>  optimization is actually a win.

Are you saying that there is no experience indicating that fewer queries
are better?

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                        http://www.ehsco.com/
Internet Core Protocols          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>