Subject: noodling, looking for stats

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 22:24:21 -0500

Following the discussion on the ietf list last week, I've been thinking
about ways to quantify the degree of cache misses. It seems that a
reasonable way to determine an approximation of this would be by comparing
the number of answers for some TLD provided at the root with the number of
queries processed for that TLD. For example, how many times in a given
hour did x.root-servers.net provide a referral to .com, and how many
queries did x.gtld-servers.net get for .com in that same hour. This simple
comparison would give a general ratio which could be used to perform some
minimal projections, that N% of queries were forwarded from a cached
referral, while the remainder were not.

Is this kind of detail available?

off-list discussions/data welcome if desired

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                        http://www.ehsco.com/
Internet Core Protocols          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>