Subject: Re: the KEY debate

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 20:47:04 +0700

Date:        Mon, 05 Aug 2002 15:25:31 +0000
    From:        Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | or even a series of different RR's, on a per-security-system basis.

If this stuff has to be in the DNS at all, rather than accessed via some
better constructed protocol for the purpose, then that would be the way
to accomplish it.

kre

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Aug 2002 10:00:59 -0400

Paul,

Would you be willing to commit "BIND development resources" to
implement all these various foo-key records?

-derek

-- 
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [email-masked]                        PGP key available

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:21:16 -0400

>implement all these various foo-key records?

I would expect that we'd do what we used to do...rely on contributed code ;)

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                          +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 22:16:06 +0700

Date:        06 Aug 2002 10:00:59 -0400
    From:        Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | Would you be willing to commit "BIND development resources" to
  | implement all these various foo-key records?

I'm not Paul (nor Ed) but if all of these records have the same syntax,
which is what would be required for the magic name variant to work, then
the resources needed to support 10 or 20 of the things is essentially
the same as those required to support one (just a few extra labels in a
couple of case statements for the extra types with the same syntax).

On the other hand, if they need to differ, then the magic name scheme doesn't
work at all, so there's no choice.

kre