Subject: Re: [Design] Re: the KEY debate

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 17:08:02 -0500

on 8/7/2002 5:03 PM David Conrad wrote:
> On 8/7/02 2:45 PM, "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>>What I'm saying is (d) the more crap we stick into DNS, the more caches
>>will overflow, making the service less useful

> If the cache is filling up, it is because it is being used for something.
> This would seem to me to imply that it is being more useful.
> 
> What am I missing?

Assuming a FIFO queue drain, stuff that *was* cached (and which should
have stayed in the cache) will be bounced. When that data is needed again,
another round of queries will have to be issued. At that point, the
benefits of caching have been obviated. Projected outwards with a
come-and-get-your-new-RR-and-names mentatility in conjunction with a very
high load, it is not impossible to imagine scenarios with inifinite churn.
Would DNS without caching be as useful?

Obviously there are ways around this -- add more caches, add more memory
to fewer caches -- but it is a real concern, not FUD.

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                        http://www.ehsco.com/
Internet Core Protocols          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Aug 2002 18:17:36 -0400

> Assuming a FIFO queue drain, stuff that *was* cached (and which should

Bad assumption.  Assume LRU.  The rest of your statement doesn't
follow anymore.

-derek
-- 
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [email-masked]                        PGP key available

---

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 17:44:57 -0500

> Bad assumption.  Assume LRU.  The rest of your statement doesn't

I'd actually be interested to find out what different vendors do, if they
care to share.