Subject: Re: [Design] Re: the KEY debate

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 16:43:36 -0500

[namedroppers re-added]

on 8/7/2002 4:27 PM Rob Austein wrote:
> [namedroppers was not explictly cced on Ted's message, I'll assume
> that was intentional.]
> 
> At Wed, 7 Aug 2002 16:01:38 -0500, Ted Lemon wrote:
> 
>>Which applications, other than dig, look up qtype ALL?  Are these
>>applications doing the right thing?  I.e., is it the idea of putting
>>more records in the DNS that is broken, or is it the applications
>>that use qtype ALL when they probably don't need all the data?

sendmail does it so they can find any MX, A and/or CNAME RRs that exist,
using a single query (using multiple queries would be a different kind of
hostile). qmail does it to be compatible (djb posted a long message on
this, check the archives).

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                        http://www.ehsco.com/
Internet Core Protocols          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 00:42:54 +0200

"Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]> writes:

> hostile). 

Not any more.  This was fixed in Sendmail 8.12.0.

> qmail does it to be compatible (djb posted a long message on this,
> check the archives).

That discussion probably stopped people from doing such silly things.