Subject: Re: QType: ADDR

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 12:45:56 -0500

> Requiring applications to issue 2x the queries (until the majority of
> nodes have AAAA RRs) doesn't help anybody. Consider also that negative
> caching has different ramifications (typically shorter TTLs) which mean
> that the first query (failure) will get passed along more often. An ADDR
> qtype can help against these potential problems somewhat.

Nobody, so far, has agreed with you that ANY is a good thing for 
applications to use.   Several people who I think know what they are 
talking about have said that it is not.   Applications that used to use it 
no longer do.   So if your goal is to convince us of anything, you can't 
use the idea that applications need ANYas a basis for your arguments.

Honestly, I think you are getting into optimization mentality here - you 
see a way to do things "more efficiently", and you want to use it, even 
though you don't have any practical experience that says that your 
optimization is actually a win.   I do this all the time.   It makes for 
complicated and unreliable code.   The best way to do start is to implement 
things the "stupid" way, and optimize if you see that there's a problem.   
The evidence suggests that there's no problem here.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>