Subject: Re: qtype addr scorecard

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 19:31:37 +0000

> I was not proposing "synthetic data". What I proposed, can be
> simulated manually using current name servers without any change as
> follows:
> 
>   - when you enter A record for address 1.2.3.4, you also enter AAAA
>     record for ::ffff:1.2.3.4
> 
> It would be a convenience feature, if some new version of server did
> this implicitly.
> 
> However, I did not suggest that some intermediate server should do any
> merging of AAAA query with A queries.

i apologize for misunderstanding you.  (your words were clear on this point,
upon rereading.)  

jinmei's comments are relevant to this.  getaddrinfo() does not accept
ipv4-mapped addresses.  so there would still be some implementation cost
to this proposal, though not in the protocol itself.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 16:09:47 +0000

> Instead of additional section, why not my other proposal: return IPv4
> addresses in AAAA query as IPv6 addresses (ipv4 mapped format).

Synthetic data is very touchy.  Those mapped AAAA's would have to have TTL=0,
for example, which would mean the whole AAAA RRset would be minimized to TTL
0.  I don't think this situation calls for synthetic data.