Subject: Re: mDNS/LLMNR and "local.arpa"

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 14:19:16 -0500

on 9/15/2002 1:23 PM Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
>> | 	then why "local.arpa" was removed from mDNS/LLMNR document?  indicators
>> | 	like "local.arpa" or "local" (used by Apple Rendezvous) is a good
>> | 	indication of different name space.
>>No, mangling the names is a poor way to indicate different name spaces.
> 
> 	then how can we differentiate mDNS/LLMNR name and DNS name under
> 	the same API (getaddrinfo/getnameinfo)?

LLMNR names are not DNS names. They are not authoritative for the same
namespaces, and they shouldn't be mixed.

How do you already multiplex DNS/NetBIOS/NIS/etc under a single API? Why
should this be different?

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                        http://www.ehsco.com/
Internet Core Protocols          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:01:53 +0200 (CEST)

> 	the same API (getaddrinfo/getnameinfo)?

One could envision new flags (such as AI_LLMNR) for lookups in the local
name space.

  Erik