Subject: DS and the deployed base

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 09:33:21 -0700 (PDT)

Something for the DNS cabal to ruminate on....
In the little testbed we are running, the following behaviour
popped up.  Feel free to interpret as you will.
	---------------------------------------------
From a testbed user:
---
Here are my observations:

Appearently the problem is in the recursive bind (i.e. mine). A tcpdump
shows that all the roots return the correct data, butt bind 9.2.1 seems
to get confused by the presence of a NXT and/or SIG Record and then
ignoring the NS-Records.

And it is not a problem of my dig, since the OS Resolver shows the same
behaviour.

So i will fetch a Snapshot of the bind release and then see if that
changes anything.
...

Hello,

So, my problem appears to be a bug when querying the Root with a bind
9.2.1 Recursive DNS Server.

I now upgraded to 9.3.0s20020722 and I get the proper answers:
---

	Does this indicate that the "flag-day" may have much 
	broader impact that one might have originally thought?

--bill

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 17:30:31 +0000

> 	broader impact that one might have originally thought?

according to published reports, bind8 is the most popular dns implementation
now in use, followed by bind4, followed by microsoft.  the fact that an
interrim bind9 release didn't handle NXT RR's correctly is of very little
significance, since people who run bind9 at all are very susceptible to
upgrading it when they hear that a new release is available.

now, if you've got data concerning bad behaviour from bind8, bind4, or
microsoft, then we should be considering that in light of flag days et al.