Subject: Re: draft-dnsext-edns1-04.txt

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Sep 2002 09:37:53 -0400

Paul Vixie <[email-masked]> writes:

> i see multiple queries as (1) an intended part of the original
> architecture which was left underspecified, and (2) a necessary feature
> in the long run if we don't want dns to remain a significant part of our
> total transaction or session initiation times.

When I first started playing with DNS implementations in '95 I was
very surprised to find out that one could not send multiple queries in
one message.  What's the point of the query count if the value _must_
be 1?

At the time, I was working on a Secure Dynamic Update implementation
and, as I recall having multiple queries would have helped me
significantly.

In other words, I agree COMPLETELY that multiple queries were an
intended part of the original archicture, but I also believe that (at
the time) there were too many potential issues (corner cases) so
people didn't want to cope.

-derek

-- 
       Derek Atkins
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>