Subject: Re: TXT records, are they alive?

From: Florian Weimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 23:19:40 +0200

Peter Koch <[email-masked]> writes:

> Not only do servers implement the TXT RRs, but also resolvers
> support it.

However, as far as I can tell, stub resolvers lack convenient
interfaces for extracting TXT RRs.  This might explain why a lot of
DNS applications use A RRs to encode things which actually aren't IP
addresses. 8-/

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Apr 2003 19:00:10 -0400

> DNS applications use A RRs to encode things which actually aren't IP

What applications do something like this?  An A record is extremely
limited in what it can hold (namely, a 4 octet address).  So, I'd be
interested in hearing about "DNS applications" that hold something
else or somehow use A records differently.

-derek

-- 
       Derek Atkins
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com

---

From: David Shaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 22:29:05 -0400

> else or somehow use A records differently.

The various DNS-based email blacklist systems come to mind.  They use
different "addresses" in the loopback net (127.0.0.1, 127.0.0.2, etc)
to indicate different reasons to block a given SMTP connection.

David