Subject: LLMNR Issue 36: Consolidation of addressing information

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:28:05 -0700 (PDT)

Issue 36: Consolidation of addressing information
Submitter: Bernard Aboba
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: April 22, 2003
Reference:
Document: LLMNR-17
Comment type: E
Priority: 2
Section: 1, 2.4
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

It is best to put information on link-scope addressing in a single place.

In Section 1, change:

"LLMNR queries are sent to and received on port TBD using a link-scope
multicast address as specified in "Administratively Scoped IP Multicast"
[RFC2365] for IPv4. The LLMNR link-scope multicast address to be used
for IPv4 is 224.0.0.251. For IPv6, the LLMNR link-scope multicast
address is TBD. Link-scope multicast addresses are used to prevent
propagation of LLMNR traffic across routers, potentially flooding the
network; for details, see Section 2.4. In circumstances described in
Section 2.3, LLMNR queries can also be sent to a unicast address."

To:

"LLMNR queries are sent to and received on port TBD.
Link-scope multicast addresses are used to prevent
propagation of LLMNR traffic across routers, potentially flooding the
network; for details, see Section 2.4. In circumstances described in
Section 2.3, LLMNR queries can also be sent to a unicast address."

In Section 2.4, change:

"The IPv4 link-scope multicast address a given responder listens to, and
to which a sender sends all queries, is 224.0.0.251. The IPv6 link-
scope multicast address a given responder listens to, and to which a
sender sends all queries, is TBD."

To:

"IPv4 administratively scoped multicast usage is specified in
"Administratively Scoped IP Multicast" [RFC2365].
The IPv4 link-scope multicast address a given responder listens to, and
to which a sender sends queries, is 224.0.0.251. The IPv6 link-scope
multicast address a given responder listens to, and to which a
sender sends all queries, is TBD."

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>