Subject: RE: Evaluation: draft-ietf-dnsext-unknown-rrs -Handling of Unknown DNS Resource Record Types to Proposed Standardraft-ietf-dnsext-unknown-rrs-05

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 11:14:44 +0200 (CEST)

> RFC2929 allows for three types of allocation in separate RR type
> number ranges: IETF Consensus, Specification Required, and Private
> Use.  When an allocation is made based on IETF consensus, the RR type
> specification has already received extensive review in the working
> group, the IETF last call, and the IESG; therefore, I don't see a need
> for an additional step of expert review in this case.  In the case of
> Private Use, no review is possible since neither IETF nor IANA is
> involved.

Just a note that your interpretation of IETF consensus doesn't quite
match RFC 2434 - that RFC doesn't mention an IETF last call:
       IETF Consensus - New values are assigned through the IETF
           consensus process. Specifically, new assignments are made via
           RFCs approved by the IESG. Typically, the IESG will seek
           input on prospective assignments from appropriate persons
           (e.g., a relevant Working Group if one exists).

> This leaves Specification Required as a case where expert review could
> potentially be useful.  However, since the reason for having a
> separate Specification Required policy in the first place would be to
> provide a more streamlined option for registering new types, it would
> seem that introducing a mandatory step of expert review would diminish
> the utility of having multiple policies.
> 
> Therefore, my suggestion is to simply remove the IANA Considerations
> section from the draft.  Any objections?

As long as the WG is ok with the implications of that I don't see a problem.
For clarity if makes sense to retina the section and say explicitly
that there are no IANA actions associated with this document.

  Erik

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>