Subject: WCARD-CLARIFY ISSUE: Multi wildcard label dnames

From: "Olaf M. Kolkman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:51:47 +0200

Reference: http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2003/msg01670.html
Type: T
Priority: U

Document: draft-ietf-dnsext-wcard-clarify-01
Section: last note of section 2, and the entire appendix A

Rationale/Explanation of issue:

http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2003/msg01670.html:

> The last note of section 2, and the entire appendix A, seems at least
> partially inconsistent with RFC 1034.  Specifically: RFC 1034 says a
> wildcard RR look like *.<anydomain> where <anydomain> should not
> contain other * labels.  So *.*.example is not a valid wild card
> according to RFC 1034, contrary to what the draft claims.  If
> something needs to be clarified, how about making a clarification
> saying that <anydomain> 'MUST NOT' contain other * labels?  If the
> draft intend to redefine RFC 1034 on what <anydomain> may contain,
> that should IMHO be made more clear, as the abstract now give the
> impression that the draft doesn't alter any definitions.   

Also see the discussion thread starting with:
http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2003/msg01700.html

Proposed Change

Modify the draft so that it states it updates 1034 (on one point) and 
in section 2 add the following (the text needs to be mangled in):

RFC1034  section 4.3.3 states:

#  The owner name of the wildcard RRs is of the form "*.<anydomain>",
#  where <anydomain> is any domain name.  <anydomain> should not contain
#  other * labels, and should be in the authoritative data of the zone.

The "should not" in the above sentence implies that the alternative
implementation, i.e. domain names with multiple wildcards, are
possible. However, there is no specification of the synthesis behavior
for those alternative cases.  Hence this document updates RFC1034 by
replacing the definition as quoted above by R2.1.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>