Subject: Re: wcard-clarify scope confusion

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 14:05:42 +0000

> >The standard answer to ``How do you transfer something that AXFR doesn't
> >understand?'' is ``We replicate data with rsync, not AXFR.''
> 
> Fair 'nuff.

no, it's really not.  if something can't fit in the axfr protocol then it
really is not dns data, but rather some kind of metadata outside the dns
which happens to be needed to make a given implementation do the right
thing.  i liken this to "active directory" which likewise won't fit into
axfr in some cases due to the non-dns data that their system also needs.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 16:33:43 +0000

> But the question is - if we say "MUST/SHOULD NOT" what are the
> implications?  Do we refuse to load a zone into the master if such a name
> is found?  Do we drop an AXFR connection if one is found (and I do mean an
> "AXFR")?  (Or IXFR?)  What if the name is in a dynamic update?  (An issue
> for RFC2136++.)

it's not a protocol violation, it just doesn't mean anything and will
never be found or used.  there's no reason to reject a transfer or update
under those conditions, though a recommendation that the master server
produce a warning about the meaningless of the data would help us all.