Subject: Re: DNSEXT WGLC: Wildcard Clarify

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 02:19:43 +0700

Date:        Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:24:19 +0000
    From:        Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | ok, i get it.  so to clarify this document further, one could add a
  | note that says "as a result of not being allowed to cache these names,
  | the caching name server will never have an opportunity to assume the
  | role of synthesis, which is therefore reserved for authority servers."

Yes, other than I don't think that we need the logic to deduce that
only auth servers can do this - it can simply be stated.

I also don't really believe that caches actually go looking for '*'
lookups and refuse to cache the results (they perhaps should, to
follow 1034, but I find it hard to believe that most do).

kre

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Sep 2003 00:22:10 -0000

Robert Elz writes:
> lookups and refuse to cache the results

I certainly don't bother looking for them.

On the other hand, I can imagine an implementor getting into trouble by
building a single tree structure for cached data _and_ server-side data,
and then adding wildcard support to the tree, not realizing that cached
records have to be treated differently.

The bottom line is that caches must not invent records. In particular,
they must not attempt to apply *.blah records to other names. Some cache
implementors might find it most convenient to do this by simply refusing
to cache *.blah.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 22:22:53 -0400

>implementors might find it most convenient to do this by simply refusing

Yes, yes, yes, yes.
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

Sponge Bob Square Pants?  I'm still trying to figure out the Macarena.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:06:05 -0700 (PDT)

> implementors might find it most convenient to do this by simply refusing

	I think we tried to capture that in R4.1 text. Did we get it
	right?

--bill