Subject: Re: Issue: Add a new QTYPE

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:21:38 +0700

Date:        Wed, 19 Nov 2003 01:13:26 -0800 (PST)
    From:        bill  <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | 	there is not enough functional distinction laid out in the arguments
  | 	to justify a new QTYPE, they are both QUERY's but for different address
  | 	classes.

No, it is clear what is being requested, that's the invention of a meta
query for IP type addresses.   This has been discussed before, meta
queries just don't work if you actually care about the answers (but
are fine if you don't really care - the ANY query is an example, the
proposed query is just a subset ANY really).

The namedroppers archives contain plenty os material on just why meta
queries don't work, so I don't think we need to repeat it all here.

A more feasible (but still not easy) solution to the problem raised,
as much as it actually is a problem, is to do one query with multiple
questions.   That doesn't really work with standard DNS that's deployed,
but can be made to work with suitable levels of EDNS added in (I forget
which EDNSn is required for it nor if it is even agreed yet).

  | 	there already exists an RR with type "DS" and overloading memnonics
  | 	has never been a good idea.

Indeed, but if that were the only issue, fixing it would not be hard...

kre

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 07:28:30 -0600

Jim Reid put out a draft that was useful and promising as I recollect.

> proposed query is just a subset ANY really).

Ah, yeah we have, but QTYPE=ADDR wasn't a subset of QTYPE=ANY.

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                        http://www.ehsco.com/
Internet Core Protocols          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/

---

From: bill <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:08:57 -0800 (PST)

> query for IP type addresses.  
> 
...
> which EDNSn is required for it nor if it is even agreed yet).

	or.... one query with multiple, valid replies.  see also (DISCOVER)

> kre

--bill