Subject: Re: Issue: Add a new QTYPE

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:38:11 +0000

> Paul's suggestion to piggy-back the A RRs onto the AAAA responses
> won't really help unless the queries are sent non-recursively (to the
> local resolver/cache).

when a recursive server has no AAAA and so forwards the AAAA query to
an authority, if that authority includes A as additional data then it
will land in the same recursive cache as the AAAA.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:06:00 +0000

> ...
> Now, if there's neither an AAAA (maybe it really doesn't exist) nor a
> NODATA (which has expired), you can only learn the NODATA from an
> authoritative server.  NODATA will expire frequently, so you'll have
> to ask an authoritative server again and again, although the A RR will
> still sit in your cache.

but that's how it would be anyway, since these are AAAA queries we're
talking about.  in what way will we have made this case worse?