Subject: DNSSECbis-records-05 compression issue

From: Ólafur Guðmundsson<[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 21:59:17 -0500

(Not sure if this is nit or protocol issue, so it goes to namedroppers).

Currently Sections 3.1.7 and 4.1.1 say Sender MUST NOT compress and
receiver SHOULD decompress if it receives compress domain name embedded
in the RDATA of RRSIG and NSEC.

This is in violation of RFC3597 which outlaws any compression in records
defined after its publication or with number higher than 42.

I propose that the text in above sections be changed to say:
Domain name compression on MUST NOT be performed[RFC3597].

The reason to make this explicit is it will allow more rapid detection
of compression attempts, than if recipients silently decompress.

	Olafur

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 18:00:34 -0500

> of compression attempts, than if recipients silently decompress.

<hat=editor>

Current text was based on the Robustness Principle, but of course this
is the WG's decision to make, not the editors'.

</hat>

<hat=just-another-bozo-on-this-bus>

I happen to believe that applying the Robustness Principle is correct
here.  YMMV.

</hat>