Subject: Re: Fingerprinting DNS implementations.

From: Chris Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 23:55:30 +0000 (GMT)

Dean Anderson <[email-masked]> writes
 
> I'm wondering why you are doing this. 

I'm not. I'm wondering why he thinks this is a DNS protocols issue
rather than a DNS operations one.

Chris Thompson
Email: [email-masked]

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Roy Arends <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:19:45 +0100 (CET)

> I'm wondering why you are doing this.

I want to know how the DNS landscape looks like. A popularity contest.
Especially if the wg decides to clarify parts of the standards, or
standardise additions, I'd like to know the impact on the landscape,
therefor I need to know what it looks like.

Oh, and for fun as well.

> This sort of tool could be abused by crackers.

The tool does not discriminate on intend or mindset.

> I am particularly where is sounds like your are looking for fingerprints
> for vendors that have obscured their responses in order to prevent
> fingerprinting.

The tool does not discriminate in that area neither. Both implementations
that scream their version, including authors, and implementations
that do not can be identified.

Vendors do not obscure responses. How do you obscure responses ? Create
but not send ? Response-Sensorship ?

Instead of 'fingerprinting', would you like me to call it 'protocol
conformity, indexed by implementation' ?

Roy

---

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Dec 2003 20:32:55 -0000

I posted fingerprint data a year ago: http://cr.yp.to/surveys/dns1.html

Chris Thompson writes:
> I'm wondering why he thinks this is a DNS protocols issue

The IETF often creates interoperability problems by extending protocols
in a way that breaks existing software. Today's ``borderline'' packets
could be tomorrow's protocol extensions; it's important to document how
those packets are handled.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago