Subject: LLMNR Issue 61: Miscellaneous clarifications

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 18:30:28 -0800 (PST)

Issue 61: Miscellaneous clarifications
Submitter name: Bernard Aboba
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: December 27, 2003
Reference:
Document: LLMNR-27
Comment type: T
Priority: S
Section: Various
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

The specification does not discuss the required behavior with respect to
destination address and ports.

In Section 2.3, add:

"[b] Responders MUST direct responses to the port from which the query
was sent. When queries are received via TCP this is an inherent
part of the transport protocol. For queries received by UDP the
responder MUST take note of the source port and use that as the
destination port in the response. Responses SHOULD always be sent
from the port to which they were directed."

In Section 2.4, add:

"A responder receiving a unicast query MUST send the response with a
source address set to the destination address field of the IP header of
the query causing the response."

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>