Subject: Re: DNS SRV Clarification sought

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 12:03:05 -0600

On 3/8/2004 10:25 AM, Peter Koch wrote:

> Eric A. Hall wrote:

>> Is that really feasible? Service definitions may require weighting
>> values
> 
> What weighting values are you talking about? Those in the SRV RR are
> not supposed to carry any additional meaning.

The 'priority' field is different from the 'weight' field. RFC2782 says
the following about the weight:

|       In the absence of a protocol whose specification calls for the
|       use of other weighting information, a client arranges the SRV
|       RRs of the same Priority in the order in which target hosts,
|       specified by the SRV RRs, will be contacted.

> RFC 2782 is pretty clear about the service names to be used:

Well, that's not the whole ball of wax. Service names can vary for reasosn
other than protocol (http != www). Service names are relative labels which
do not describe behavioral rules which may be associated with the service
in general (algorithm may require SRV for in-addr space, or domain-wide
space, or host-specific maps). Etc.

Really, it seems to me that it's best to leave the list of well-known
definitions for those SRV mappings and algorithms which are actually
defined by the affected community.

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                        http://www.ehsco.com/
Internet Core Protocols          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 12:03:05 -0600