Subject: Re: DNS SRV Clarification sought

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:32:14 +0100

Bill Fenner wrote:

> was to the "PROTOCOL AND SERVICE NAMES" section, aka
> <http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names>, and people who looked

this teaches us that the registry name will need to be specified explicitly,
especially since URL references to the IANA registries are (were when I tried)
only allowed to point to http://www.iana.org/numbers.html.

> for the names in port-numbers were confused by the lack of strong binding

Thanks, and increase the number of confused :-)

> to the reference (since there's no strong requirement for a port number
> assignment, just a name).

The document you mention references WKS RRs, and since SRV is an orthogonal,
though not totally unrelated, concept, it may be useful to use the same
registry. However, since WKS uses port numbers (in a bit string) on-the-wire,
I'm not too sure I understand the reasoning behind a registry dealing with
names *only*. What's more important is some kind of link to the spec
describing a) the protocol and b) use of SRV RRs in connection with that
protocol. Elevation of 2782 will give us an opportunity to clarify this.

-Peter

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Andras Salamon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 15:09:22 +0200

> only allowed to point to http://www.iana.org/numbers.html.

RFC 3232 makes reference to http://www.iana.org/ which in turn makes a
reference to http://www.iana.org/numbers.html but then the trail gets
cold.  There are several potential documents that could be relevant,
for instance either http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
(this is the classic /etc/services document we have all been
using as a reference, but isn't obviously tied in to DNS) or
http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names (which could be relevant
since it is explicitly associated with WKS records).

> Elevation of 2782 will give us an opportunity to clarify this.

I would like to document the "correct" usage of SRV records at DNSRD,
so I agree that the next version of 2782 should explicitly refer to the
correct registry document.

Now, which one is it?  port-numbers or service-names?

-- Andras Salamon                   [email-masked]
-- DNS Resources Directory          http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:32:14 +0100

-Peter

---

From: Andras Salamon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 15:09:22 +0200