Subject: Re: DNS SRV Clarification sought

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 20:00:49 +0000

> I'm sorry but I do not see any difference between /etc/services and
> the "port-numbers" registry except for the non-existence of aliases in the
> latter. What do you miss?

ftp://ftp.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers' "keyword" field (which wasn't
there a few years ago when i last looked at this file) seems like the right
answer.  however, a purely SRV-discovered service might not _have_ a default
port number, in which case ftp://ftp.iana.org/assignments/service-names would
be the better choice for an SRV's owner name.  and, it would be good to know
that iana's policy is to keep synchronization between port-numbers keywords,
and service-names.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 20:00:49 +0000