Subject: Re: DNS SRV Clarification sought

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 17:25:32 +0100

Eric A. Hall wrote:

> On 3/6/2004 12:48 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:
> 
> > iana should create a registry of service identifiers, by importing the
> > BSD file "/etc/services" and then periodically amending it for new
> > standards

which would be different from <http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers>?

> Is that really feasible? Service definitions may require weighting values

What weighting values are you talking about? Those in the SRV RR are not
supposed to carry any additional meaning.

RFC 2782 is pretty clear about the service names to be used:

Applicability Statement

   In general, it is expected that SRV records will be used by clients
   for applications where the relevant protocol specification indicates
   that clients should use the SRV record. [...]

   Service
        The symbolic name of the desired service, as defined in Assigned
        Numbers [STD 2] or locally.  An underscore (_) is prepended to
        the service identifier to avoid collisions with DNS labels that
        occur in nature.

STD 2 is obsoleted by RFC 3232, again pointing to the URL above (although
rather indirectly). What may be missing is a list of services without
portnumber. In the whois case mentioned earlier inthis thread (which, btw
uses "nicname" instead of the more prominent "whois" because of the "Service"
requirement cited above) one would sometimes like to further differentiate
the service without really using a different protocol, e.g. _ripe_whois.tcp...

-Peter

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 17:25:32 +0100

Applicability Statement

   Service

-Peter