Subject: Re: Advancing RFC3597 Unknown Type support --> to Draft Standard

From: Ólafur Gudmundsson/DNSEXT co-chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:37:19 -0500

At 13:00 2004-02-28, Ólafur Gudmundsson/DNSEXT co-chair wrote:

>This RFC was published about 6 months ago so it is now a candidate to
>advance through he standards track.
>In order to do that we need
>         evidence of implementation,
>         interoperabilty test and report.

Jakob Schlyter <[email-masked]> has stepped up and will coordinate
the interoperabilty testing and write the report. (Thanks Jakob)
He needs help from vendors in identifying support, please contact
him to participate in the testing.

Jakob and I will be contacting some vendors privately asking explicit
questions of support and if they want to participate.

Even though IETF rules say only two implementation are needed for the
interoperabilty test, the chairs would like to include as many as
possible. One important reason is the impact RFC3597 support has
on the introduction of new RR types.

The interoperabilty testing will address all types of DNS functional
units:
         - Authorative servers (primary and secondary)
         - Recursive Resolvers (including Caches)
         - Stub Resolvers
         - Diagnostic tools

The standard IETF interoperabilty rules will apply
         - List of implementations tested will be provided
         - Any problem identified will be examined to see if the source of
           the problem is the documentation
         - There will be NO public disclosure of what
           implementations had problems only a list of the problems.

The goal here is twofold, advance a better document, allow vendors to
address any problems identified sooner than later.

         Olafur (co-chair).

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Jakob Schlyter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:57:08 +0100 (CET)

interested parties should visit http://www.rfc.se/interop3597/ and join
the mailing-list at http://www.rfc.se/mailman/listinfo/interop3597.

before testing starts, I need help with filling the test zone (published
as interop3597.rfc.se) with useful, and wierd, data. please send
suggestions me or to the list above.

	jakob

---

From: Ólafur Gudmundsson/DNSEXT co-chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:37:19 -0500

Olafur (co-chair).

---

From: Jakob Schlyter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:57:08 +0100 (CET)

jakob