Subject: Re: DNS SRV Clarification sought

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:49:01 +0000

> > here's the problem.  SRV is experimental.  2052 was "snuck through" the
> > ietf process when iesg's attention was focused elsewhere, and they got
> > Really Angry about it when they found out.
> 
> Your history seems to be omitting the part where we got RFC 2782
> published as a proposed standard (with you as one of the authors).  That
> one certainly wasn't snuck through the IESG; we got significant feedback
> about the static weighting system, among other things.

indeed.  i was thinking only of 2052 in my recounting.  in that case there's
nothing stopping someone from writing an rfc to immortalize /etc/services and
making that file an iana database.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:49:01 +0000