Subject: EDNS0 (RFC-2671) questions

From: Markku Savela <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:25:36 +0200

1) assuming I send query, which includes the OPT RR (to increase the
   packet length). If I receive a reply with TC=1 (truncation) and
   don't find OPT RR in the reply, then I assume the RCODE is the
   non-extended one?

  [Just verifying, that I can trust all implementations do it right:
  if they build an answer and run out of space before inserting the
  OPT RR, they also fall back to old plain RCODE?]

This extended-RCODE makes it somewhat akward, to find RCODE, you have
to traverse through all data in Question, Answer and Authority
sections, then look OPT RR from Additional section. Doable, but still
icky, just to get few extra bits of RCODE that are rarely used. Would
have been easier if there was single RCODE value in fixed header to
indicate that extended RCODE is in use.

2) Can UDP payload size be < 512?

I didn't see any mention of it. Maybe I missed it. I think RFC should
state that attempting to use less than 512 is not allowed (and will be
ignored). [If < 512 is accepted, there might be some DOS potential in
it also]

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>