Subject: 2929bis experiment status update

From: Ólafur Guðmundsson /DNSEXT co-chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:37:42 -0400

My apologies for the delay in the overall process which is to large extent
my fault.

Overall results so far:
	1. Guidelines for expert where not sufficient.
	2. Template submitted did not contain sufficient information for
	   expert to assess the impact on DNS.
	3. There should be more than one expert as conflict of interest issues
	   may arise during the process or one expert is not available
           in timely manner.
	4. The document needs to be updated on how the template is submitted
	   to IANA.

Details:
The guidelines did not address what outside information the expert should/must
consider in evaluating the application.
In this particular case the application assumed knowledge of the structure of
International telephone country codes.

The Expert needs guidance on if he/she is allowed to consult with external
bodies in processing of the templates, such as the IESG. This was raised
in the sense someone may comment that a template is an attempt to end-around
a working group. What should the expert do/not do when comments like
this are raised.

There should be more than one Expert as experts may have conflict of interest,
the document should recommend that 2-3 co-experts be appointed.

What should happen when an template is re-submitted, is there going to be
another community review ?

After discussions with IANA it is better that the template be submitted
first to IANA, and IANA posts the template to namedroppers.
IANA and the experts will jointly select the expert that will process
the template. IANA will notify experts when actions are required of them.

There are number of smaller nits that where raised in the process of
this experiment and this chair will work with our AD in creating list
of changes to the rfc2929bis document before it is published.

Actions:
1. The template in the experiment needs to be resubmitted with explicit
    reference or description on how to find the record in one query.

2. Expert needs to evaluate the resubmitted template and render decision.

3. Chair will work with AD to address IETF last call comments, and
	changes in template.

4. Editor will update document before submission to RFC-Editor.

	Olafur

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>