Subject: [dnsext] I-D Action:draft-ietf-dnsext-aliasing-requirements-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:15:02 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the DNS Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Problem Statement: DNS Resolution of Aliased Names
	Author(s)       : S. Woolf, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsext-aliasing-requirements-01.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2011-03-14

This document attempts to describe a set of issues that arises from
the desire to treat a set or group of names as "aliases" of each
other, "bundled," "variants," or "the same," which is problematic in
terms of corresponding behavior for DNS labels and FQDNs.

With the emergence of internationalized domain names, among other
potential use cases, two or more names that users will regard as
having identical meaning may sometimes require corresponding behavior
in the underlying infrastructure, possibly in the DNS itself.  It's
not clear how to accommodate this required behavior of such names in
DNS resolution; in particular, it's not clear when they are best
accommodated in registry practices for generating names for lookup in
the DNS, existing DNS protocol elements and behavior, existing
application-layer mechanisms and practices, or some set of protocol
elements or behavior not yet defined.  This document attempts to
describe some of these cases and the behavior of some of the possible
solutions discussed to date.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-aliasing-requirements-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
dnsext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsext