Subject: [dnsext] What kind of use of TXT is this?

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 06:11:51 +0800

People on this list must know I am against use of TXT records, or records that you just do not know what it is you parse in general. Things must be typed.

I just stumbled on a new thing that I have not seen. Maybe it is because I have not been alert enough.

$ dig tv4.se. txt +short
"( http://tv4.se )"

Any ideas?

   Patrik

_______________________________________________
dnsext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsext

---

From: Phil Regnauld <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 07:48:55 +0800

> I just stumbled on a new thing that I have not seen. Maybe it is because I have not been alert enough.

	From here it looks like a http URI :)

	Not any less or more correct than

	dig dk. txt +short
	or
	dig fr. txt +short

	Cheers,
	Phil

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 07:55:47 +0800

> 	Not any less or more correct than

Ha ha ha, yeah, I could get that myself... But I was thinking (of course) more in terms of "what is supposed to digest that?".

Specifically as we now have the URI resource record.

   Patrik

---

From: Lawrence Conroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 10:08:20 +0100

Hi Patrik, folks,
 We have an SPF record, but that doesn't stop a lot of extant relying systems apparently requiring the TXT version.
There are simply not enough batteries in the world to charge the cattle prods needed.
Re. original question -- I'm not aware of any "common" indexer that expects that format of record. Hanlon's Razor?
all the best,
  Lawrence

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 21:25:21 -0400

Well the DNS admin might well have just written that out as a reminder to
himself as to what he was up to.

Or it could be in use by a site local management tool. Or any number of
reasonable uses.

In fact I created one just like it this morning as I was creating a config
file for my local DNS server to implement a testbed for ESRV and URI.

Since my version of bind does not understand the URI record format, I am
going to either have to hack the source code of bind to add it or I am going
to have to extend my RR generator to do URI as well.

So to remind myself as to what I was doing I created the line:

$ORIGIN test
_owcp_cd._ws   IN TXT "URI 1 1 http://host1.test/.well-known/owcp_ce.ws"

Next I have to look at the BIND code and work out whether it is going to be
easier to hack that to add in URI and CAA myself or continue to work with my
record generation tool which seemed like a good idea until I discovered that
xedit on the Mac does not accept cut and paste. Presumably looking for a
button on the mouse that existeth not.

2011/6/23 Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>

> >> People on this list must know I am against use of TXT records, or
> records that you just do not know what it is you parse in general. Things
> must be typed.
> >>
> Ha ha ha, yeah, I could get that myself... But I was thinking (of course)
> more in terms of "what is supposed to digest that?".
>

-- 
Website: http://hallambaker.com/
_______________________________________________
dnsext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsext

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 12:34:22 +0200

> _owcp_cd._ws   IN TXT "URI 1 1 http://host1.test/.well-known/owcp_ce.ws"

If I have not done enything wrong here, you can do this:

$ORIGIN test
_owcp_cd._wc IN TYPE256 \# 46 00010001746870742f3a682f736f3174742e73652f74772e6c652d6c6e6b776f2f6e776f7063635f2e657377000a

   Patrik

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 11:03:20 -0400

Thanks, that will be very useful for testing my URI patch to BIND.

I just copied over the definitions from srv_33.c to uri_256.c and got a
clean compile.

For the first round of testing I am going to get the named running with URI
having the exact same syntax as srv. Now I can slot in your record into the
config file, modify it to change the type of target from dns name to string
and I can test dig first against your record and then test named.

CAA/ESRV will be a little trickier with the OID encoding. Might decide to
wimp out there and just do a choice of base64 or a string value.

2011/6/25 Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>

> _owcp_cd._wc IN TYPE256 \# 46
> 00010001746870742f3a682f736f3174742e73652f74772e6c652d6c6e6b776f2f6e776f7063635f2e657377000a
>
>   Patrik
>
>