Subject: [dnsext] ICANN variant project update

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 17:39:19 -0500

Dear colleagues,

Apologies in advance for duplicate postings.  I didn't cross-post
because of the difficulty that sometimes causes if people follow up on
list to discuss issues.

Many of you will be aware that ICANN undertook the IDN Variant Issues
Project last year.  (Full disclosure: I was involved in the project.)
On 23 December 2011 the report was posted for public comment, and I
realise that I have been remiss in drawing people's attention to it.
This message is to fix that.

You can see the public announcement at
http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-2-23dec11-en.htm.
That's also a good place to start in order to submit comments if you
have them.  The pubic comment period closes at the end of January
2012.

ICANN is eagerly soliciting comments, and I hope that those of you
interested in this topic will take the time to read the report and
send your observations.  Having been a participant in this particular
sausage-making exercise, I will say that I am sure there are things
that need improvement, expansion, or more careful statement.  I'm
aware that the report as it stands is rather long, and I appreciate
the difficulty in finding the time to read, digest, and comment on all
of it.  Given the importance of the topic, however, I think it's worth
it.

It might be tempting to discuss the document on this list, but I think
it would be better to take such discussion either to the project list
(which is still, as far as I know, open -- [email-masked], list info at
https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/vip) or to use the
public-comment links in the announcement to send such comments.  That
way, ICANN staff are sure to see the comments.

Thanks and best regards,

Andrew

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
<[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________
dnsext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsext