Subject: [dnsext] historical question re WKS

From: Tony Finch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 14:39:15 +0000

RFC 2136 specifies some odd special case handling of WKS records, to
prevent a name from having more than one WKS record for a given IP address
and protocol pair. Where did this requirement come from? I can't find
anything along those lines in RFC 1035.

Tony.
-- 
f.anthony.n.finch  <[email-masked]>  http://dotat.at/
East Dogger, Fisher, German Bight, Humber, Thames, Dover, Wight: Southerly or
southwesterly 6 to gale 8, occasionally severe gale 9 at first in Thames and
Dover veering westerly or northwesterly 5 to 7. Moderate or rough,
occasionally very rough in Fisher. Rain then showers. Moderate or poor,
becoming mainly good.
_______________________________________________
dnsext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsext

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 12:27:34 -0500

off-list...because it's not all that useful a reply

Generally I know DNS history, but for this I don't.  I'd say that 
1035 implies there should be only one per IP/protocol from this in 
3.4.2:

"The WKS record is used to describe the well known services supported by
a particular protocol on a particular internet address."

Admittedly, that isn't a smoking gun, but it does talk about 
"particular" protocol and address.  You've read the rest.  No other 
hint.  I'd chalk this up to the poor documentation native to RFCs.

I'd bug Vixie directly if you want to know.

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis             
NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468

2012...time to reuse those 1984 calendars!
_______________________________________________
dnsext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsext

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 13:03:59 -0500

Oops on-list...still all not that useful. ;)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 10:17:15 +0000

> >I'd bug Vixie directly if you want to know.

	actually, the person to bug would be Mocapetris.
	WKS predates vixie by several years.

	this was back when hosts had mutliple NICs and multiple
	internet addresses.

/bill

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 09:00:14 -0500

At 10:17 +0000 3/8/12, <[email-masked]> wrote:

I meant for knowing what went on with writing 2136, Paul would be as 
good a source as any - as he co-authored it.