Subject: nasreq FW: roamops, aaa, the universe, and everything

From: "Beadles, Mark A." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 14:16:49 -0400

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, 03 September 1999 11:47 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: roamops, aaa, the universe, and everything

>The IESG discussed the issues of using an interim AAA protocol to
>address the authentication issues raised in roaming.  Aside from the
>technical issues, which were not inconsiderable, the IESG consensus was
>that, considering the importance of AAA work to the IETF community, it
>would be quite inappropriate for an AAA protocol, or part thereof, to be
>added to the tasks of an existing working group chartered to produce a
>specific protocol.
>
>AAA work should be done in a forum that can ensure the widest possible
>participation.  And there is already a forum for this type of work, the
>AAA WG.
>
>On the other hand, there is FUD about the rate of progress in the AAA
>WG.  This FUD is the cause for the mobile folk wanting to move ahead
>although it would be out of sync.  The IESG is working seriously with
>the AAA WG to rectify this situation.
>
>Therefore, the IESG has decided on the following course of action:
>
>  o ROAMOPS is to complete its current chartered work by finishing the
>    phone-book effort.  ROAMOPS will then close.  There will be a last
>    meeting in DC if and only if it is needed to complete the phone-book
>    work.
>
>  o AAA will have all requirements drafts out by the I-D cutoff for the
>    DC meeting.  This will allow the DC AAA meeting to discuss those
>    drafts and then start discussion of how to best meet those
>    requirements.
>
>  o If perchance the AAA WG does not have all requirements drafts out in
>    time for the DC meeting, we hope that folk with specific protocol
>    proposals would be prepared to have a BOF in DC.
>
>We believe that this is the best plan to meet the overall needs of the
>IETF community.  We look forward to having the mobility folk taking an
>active role in the AAA WG's efforts.
>
>Thank you.
>
>randy

+ Mark Anthony Beadles +  UUNET Product Development  + 
+  [email-masked]   + http://networking.us.uu.net +
+  Voice 614.723.1941  +       Fax 614.723.8407      +