Subject: Re: (NAT) WG last call on "Traditional NAT" draft

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 07:40:49 -0800

I would agree: This document should be informational.

The terms "Best Current Practice" and NAT are inherently
contradictory.

Even if the problem is defined as an interim solution to
the address exhaustion problem, it is not clear that NATs
are the best answer.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
To: Pyda Srisuresh <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
<[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, November 12, 1998 8:46 AM
Subject: Re: (NAT) WG last call on "Traditional NAT" draft

>For the record, I object to this being proposed as a Best Current
>Practice. I believe it should be Informational, since it
>documents an interim solution to the address exhaustion problem.
>
>  Brian Carpenter (speaking only for myself)
>

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe nat' in the body of the message.

---

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 13:20:02 -0800

Bernard,

> I would agree: This document should be informational.

I disagree with you. The document should go as BCP.
  
> The terms "Best Current Practice" and NAT are inherently

Any *rational* explanation on why they are "inherently contradictory" ?

> the address exhaustion problem, it is not clear that NATs

If you have "the best answer", please share it with us. Please also
include a *rational* explanation of why this particular answer is "the best".

Yakov.

-

---

From: Daniel Senie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 16:37:04 -0500

> >documents an interim solution to the address exhaustion problem.

There are a lot of NAT implementations out there. Many of them work as
described in this draft. To date, much of the proper functioning of NAT
implementations was folk lore.

As for whether NAT is a good practice, that's more of a political
question, and perhaps one which you need to address with ARIN and
others, rather than the NAT working group.

Users ARE USING boxes that support NAT. Perhaps it'd be nice if they
worked in consistent and predictable ways? "Informational" doesn't seem
the appropriate category.

Dan

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Daniel Senie                                        [email-masked]
Amaranth Networks Inc.            http://www.amaranthnetworks.com
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe nat' in the body of the message.