Subject: Re: (NAT) Re: Host-NAT terminology

From: "Mike Borella" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:48:18 -0600

How about Network Address and Parameter Allocation?  It
even has a cool acronym for those into wine.

-Mike

Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]> on 01/11/99 02:48:42 PM

Please respond to Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>

To:   Gabriel Montenegro <[email-masked]>
cc:   [email-masked] (Mike Borella/MW/US/3Com)
Subject:  Re: (NAT) Re: Host-NAT terminology

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Gabriel Montenegro wrote:

> hnat/dnat or nar are no longer transparent to the application.
>[..]
> essentially, a node in one address space temporarily acquires a virtual
presence
> in another address space (which may imply more than just obtaining or
> reusing an address). so how about: virtual dynamic presence (or some
such)?

"ghost addressing"? where the projections of the hosts in other
realms are viewed as ghosts?

L.

ghosts might be translucent, but not transparent.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe nat' in the body of the message.

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe nat' in the body of the message.

---

From: Gabriel Montenegro <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:42:27 -0800 (PST)

> even has a cool acronym for those into wine.

excellent!

-

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:05:38 +0000

Sure
    Brian

-

---

From: [email-masked] (Pyda Srisuresh)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 06:08:20 -0800 (PST)

Hmm... Network Address and parameter Allocation (NAPA) sounds like DHCP. 
Unlike DHCP, Host-NAT (I will use this term until we find a replacement) 
does not involve Parameter allocation(other than IP address and port). 
Besides, I think, the name ought to capture the fact that the address 
pertains to an external realm.

The following names (and acronyms) come to mind. I dont know if we will
have any TM type conflicts on acronyms.

	o External Realm Address Use (ERA) and
			External Realm Address and Port Use (ERAP)

	o Realm Specific Address Use (RSA) 
			Realm Specific Address and Port Use (RSAP)

What do you think?

cheers,
suresh

-

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 15:00:30 +0000

Or stick to NAPA... network address and PORT allocation.
Actually that's neat, as it parallels NAPT.

Whatever, as long as the acronym describes the function.

  Brian

-

---

From: Gabriel Montenegro <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:45:57 -0800 (PST)

> Actually that's neat, as it parallels NAPT.

stick to napa, but it's not just port numbers, right?
ports will get tcp and udp traffic across, that's about it.

icmp will already go beyond this, requiring allocation of icmp
id's.

however, the above is already handled by napt, so there is
less reason to do napa.

when it really matters is for ipsec, in which you'll have to
allocate (or agree on) SPI's. so "parameter" is more like it.

-gabriel

-