Subject: RE: (NAT) IPv6 and NAT

From: "Joris Dobbelsteen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 19:49:19 +0200

Looks like a *dame* stupid question, so I suppose it is....

However I will explain why I actually did ask this:
Maybe I don't explain things to good (my english sucks at this point)....

Assume i'm just an ordinary home(!) user that dials (with a 50Kbps modem) to
an (free) ISP and requests IP addresses using DHCP, you get only ONE, not a
subnet (such account I don't have and can't afford: it ain't free, so far I
know). So I don't benefit from the 64K (or at least 4 Internet IP
addresses)....

Now I do have a (little) computer network, that must be connected to the
Internet.
Installing a HTTP proxy works fine for HTTP, FTP and Gopher. SMTP and POP3
can also be solved (with some more clever software). SOCKS can handle
clients that support that (like ICQ, etc).
BUT what about my software that does not support this, such as SOCKS???
Things like this are the problem, the - lets call it - 'bad' software...

On my current network NAT would solve this problem, what should I do when I
have IPv6 deployed?

Matt,

I will read the docs you given (today, 11th, I'm to busy)

Christian,

I will look at MS its docs (and downloads)...

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe nat' in the body of the message.

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 10:59:43 -0700

First, you probably don't realize what a storm you are treading into,
and so let me suggest that this NOT become a flame fest.

Technically speaking there is nothing that stops you from using NAT with
IPv6.  The issue remains the limitations it could cause you, should you
choose to offer services from one of your workstations.  Please read
Tony Hain's document carefully.
--
Eliot Lear
[email-masked]
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe nat' in the body of the message.