Subject: [NAT] ipsec/NAT query

From: "Prakash Jain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:11:04

Hi,
I am new to both ipsec and NAT. I am facing some problem having ipsec with
NAT. I want to know if both can work together when they are not on same box,
for example, scenario is as follows,

ipsec                         Router                                            ipsec
client ----------------box doing---------N/w cloud----- server
(A)                           NAT (B )                                      (C)

<---------------------ipsec tunnel from A to C--------------->

I think tunneling can be supported thru NAT but not very sure about ipsec (and its flavour ESP/AH) in above scenarios. I have following queries,
1. Does NAT implementation require something specific to ipsec (ipsec-nat ALG??) in
above scenario?

2. Does ipsec protocol/negotiation involve client's ipaddress in any way?

3. Can ipsec and NAT have generic compatible implemantations (say ipsec client and NAT are from different vendors)  in above scenarios?

4. Please give some relevent links on the web for above info.

I will appreciate an early reply.

Thanks and regards,

Prakash

Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

_______________________________________________
nat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nat