Subject: PING: [Nea] IETF 66 NEA BOF Summary

From: "Joseph Tardo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 21:16:02 -0700

Hi Steve

Any news on the formation of the WG? By when will we get the final word?
The BoF was successful, but we haven't heard of anything after that.

Thanks
Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: Khosravi, Hormuzd M [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, July 30, 2006 1:39 PM
To: Stephen Hanna; [email-masked]; Russ Housley; Sam Hartman; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Nea] IETF 66 NEA BOF Summary

Hi Steve

Any news on the formation of the WG? By when will we get the final word?
The BoF was successful, but we haven't heard of anything after that.

Thanks
Hormuzd

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Hanna [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 8:06 AM
To: [email-masked]; Russ Housley; Sam Hartman; [email-masked]
Subject: [Nea] IETF 66 NEA BOF Summary

Summary of NEA BOF at IETF 66

The NEA BOF focussed on discussing and agreeing on a charter
for a potential NEA WG. As part of this, there was considerable
discussion of the NEA use case, architecture, and scope.

The session was well attended (more than 100 people). Many good
questions and issues were raised, all in a constructive manner.
These concerns will be reviewed to determine whether architectural
changes may be needed.

At the end of the session, rough consensus was reached on a revised
scope. The scope in the previously proposed charter will be modified
to require that the WG identify a Mandatory To Implement transport
(which may be developed by another WG). Also, vendor attributes would
be required to be documented in an RFC. And the protocols developed
must be designed to accomodate emerging technologies for addressing
lying endpoints.

With these changes, rough consensus was reached that the IETF should
create a WG with this scope and the previously proposed goals. A
substantial number of BOF participants indicated they would help
edit and author documents.

The BOF chairs will work with the ADs, the mailing list, and others
to prepare a revised charter reflecting the BOF's rough consensus.
This charter will be submitted to the IESG for consideration.

_______________________________________________
Nea mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nea

_______________________________________________
Nea mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nea

_______________________________________________
Nea mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nea

---

From: "Stephen Hanna" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:29:39 -0400

There's an echo in here, I think. ;-)

My response to Hormuzd's earlier email was:

> Susan and I are working on the revised charter. I hope we'll have
> something back to the NEA list within a few weeks. The timeline for
> an eventual IESG decision is more uncertain but I expect it would not
> be more than a month or two.

I'm afraid that report is still pretty much accurate. I'm sorry
things are taking longer than I hoped. I guess that's the downside
of being an engineer. My estimates are usually far too optimistic.
And August is not the best time to do this. People take vacations.

Let me assure you that we are making progress. I'll get a
revised charter out to the [email-masked] list ASAP. And I
promise to keep you posted as things move along.

Thanks,

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Tardo [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 12:16 AM
To: Khosravi, Hormuzd M; Stephen Hanna; [email-masked]; Russ Housley; Sam
Hartman; [email-masked]
Subject: PING: [Nea] IETF 66 NEA BOF Summary

Hi Steve

Thanks
Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: Khosravi, Hormuzd M [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, July 30, 2006 1:39 PM
To: Stephen Hanna; [email-masked]; Russ Housley; Sam Hartman; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Nea] IETF 66 NEA BOF Summary

Hi Steve

Thanks
Hormuzd