Subject: [Nea] PT protocol must be capable of transporting messages for assessment during network connection request ?

From: Han Yin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 15:28:57 +0800

In new requirement, it is presented in section 5.2.3 Posture Transport Protocol:
"The PT protocol must be capable of transporting Messages for Assessment during network connection request and after network connectivity has been established." But I think this is only necessary for assessment triggered by network connection request. Addtional in Section 7.4 Posturen Transport (PT) Protocol Requirements, there is no such a requirement. why?
On my view, if PT protocol is not expected to carry assessment messages during network connection request, TLS is a good choice. If PT protocol is expected to carry assessment messages during network connection request, EAP-TLS might be a good
choice. Why should we choose among EAP-TTLS/EAP-FAST/EAP-PEAP or define a new one?

Another question of PT protocol:
In the 16th procedure of section 6.1.2.2, it is described that PT protocol informs the gateway of the compliance status. But, how to apply the result of assessment to network access control is out of NEA WG scope. Is it a unintended mistake?

Thank to the requirement design team!

Best regards

Han Yin 
[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Nea mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nea

---

From: "Kaushik Narayan \(kaushik\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 11:34:01 -0800

Hi Han,
 
Thanks for your comments. Please find my response inline.

________________________________

From: Han Yin [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 11:29 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Nea] PT protocol must be capable of transporting messages for
assessment during network connection request ?

In new requirement, it is presented in section 5.2.3 Posture Transport
Protocol:
"The PT protocol must be capable of transporting Messages for Assessment
during network connection request and after network connectivity has
been established." But I think this is only necessary for assessment
triggered by network connection request. Addtional in Section 7.4
Posturen Transport (PT) Protocol Requirements, there is no such a
requirement. why? 
 
<Kaushik> This requirement is covered under "Common Requirements" in
section 7.1, the requirement number is C-2.

On my view, if PT protocol is not expected to carry assessment messages
during network connection request, TLS is a good choice. If PT protocol
is expected to carry assessment messages during network connection
request, EAP-TLS might be a good
choice. Why should we choose among EAP-TTLS/EAP-FAST/EAP-PEAP or define
a new one? 
 
<Kaushik> This draft is intended to capture the protocol requirements;
the choice of protocols would be part of future work which might be
addressed by a separate draft.

Another question of PT protocol:
In the 16th procedure of section 6.1.2.2, it is described that PT
protocol informs the gateway of the compliance status. But, how to apply
the result of assessment to network access control is out of NEA WG
scope. Is it a unintended mistake? 
 
<Kaushik>  This is intentional since the mechanisms used to apply access
control is out of scope of the NEA charter. There is a line in the NEA
charter that clearly states. "Specifying mechanisms for providing
restricted access is outside the scope of the NEA WG. "
 
regards,
  kaushik 

Best regards

Han Yin 
[email-masked]