Subject: [Nea] Feedback on NEA requirements

From: "Lisa Lorenzin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 12:18:21 -0800

Greetings!

I'm new to this list and working group, so have been reading 
archives and the requirements draft to familiarize myself with 
the discussions so far.  I'm still working my way through the
archives, but have a couple of very minor questions / comments 
about the requirements document:

Section 4
	"NEA technology can be used to provide posture assessment 
    for a range of ways of connecting to the network including 
    (but not limited to) wired and wireless LAN access such as 
    using 802.1X[801.1X], remote access via IPsec[IPSEC] or 
    SSL[TLS] VPN, or gateway access."  

What does "gateway access" mean in this context?

Section 6.1.1.2

     ". The Posture Broker Server on the NEA Server is instructed 
        to assess the endpoint joining the wired network."

If I understand the intent here, this might be more clear if 
"instructed to" is changed to "configured to" - as written, it 
sounds like it receives an instruction, rather than is in a state 
of instructedness.

Other than that, the requirements document seems very thorough
and straightforward. 

						Regards,

							Lisa

--
Lisa Lorenzin / 919-384-7275 / [email-masked] 
Principal Solutions Architect - Security Solutions
Juniper Networks            http://www.juniper.net

_______________________________________________
Nea mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nea

---

From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 13:07:55 -0800

Lisa - it has to do with both defining the locations of the GW's and the 
policy context necessary to allow that access.  Its also key to notice that 
many of the controls that NEA is supposed to setup will need time data as 
well to properly setup a secured channel, or at least one would think.

Todd Glassey CISM CIFI

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Lisa Lorenzin" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 12:18 PM
Subject: [Nea] Feedback on NEA requirements

Greetings!

Section 4

Section 6.1.1.2

Regards,

Lisa

---

From: "Paul Sangster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 22:30:06 -0700

Lisa,

Thanks for the review and comments.  Some thoughts are in-lined... 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Lisa Lorenzin [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> To: [email-masked]
> archives and the requirements draft to familiarize myself 
> with the discussions so far.  I'm still working my way 
> through the archives, but have a couple of very minor 
> questions / comments about the requirements document:
> 
> Section 4

This was added included to refer to other types of network access
besides SSL/TLS or IPsec VPN oriented remote access.  An example might
be a portal server.

> "instructed to" is changed to "configured to" - as written, 
> it sounds like it receives an instruction, rather than is in 
> a state of instructedness.

We wanted a word that was more generic then just configured.  There are
multiple ways in which the PBS might decide whether an assessment is
needed.  One is that it might consult its configuration, so we wanted a
word more generic.

> 
> Other than that, the requirements document seems very 
> thorough and straightforward. 

Thanks and we appreciate your comments.

---

From: "Lisa Lorenzin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 10:55:49 -0800

Hi Paul,

> This was added included to refer to other types of network 
> access besides SSL/TLS or IPsec VPN oriented remote access.  
> An example might be a portal server.

Okay, I get that.

> We wanted a word that was more generic then just configured.  
> There are multiple ways in which the PBS might decide whether 
> an assessment is needed.  One is that it might consult its 
> configuration, so we wanted a word more generic.

I see - it's a more broad usage than I was applying.  That
also makes sense; I withdraw my suggestion to change it.

Thanks for clarifying these!  

						Regards,

							Lisa