Subject: [Nea] PA-TNC draft

From: Randy Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 14:52:29 -0700

Hi List,

I know this message is a little late to the party, so take it as just  
an informational comment/question...

In the PA-TNC draft (current version), a set of primitive data types  
are defined near the front of the document, however these data types are
never referenced again during the definition of the attribute values.   
For instance, OctetArray, IPv4Address, IPv6Address, VersionNum, and  
TimeString
are never used within the document.  They are defined, but never used  
(in compiler speak :) It looks like the someone changed their mind  
later in the document
and instead of referencing existing data types, each attribute  
definition and encoding was completely specified in each attribute  
definition section, without any references to data types.

I'm assuming it's safe to ignore data types in an implementation and  
just encode exactly what is specified in each attribute definition and  
accompanying
diagram.  Is this is safe assumption?

Thanks!
Randy

---

From: Todd Glassey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 14:58:21 -0700

> diagram.  Is this is safe assumption?
Actually they should be removed.

Todd Glassey
>
> Thanks!
> Randy
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Nea mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nea
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com 
> Version: 8.5.392 / Virus Database: 270.13.54/2300 - Release Date: 08/13/09 06:11:00
>
>

---

From: kaushik <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:02:07 -0700

Hi Randy,

The editors have been debating the value of these data types given that it
will be difficult to define a complete set of primitives. We have decided to
remove Section 3.6 in the next revision of the PA-TNC ID.

It is safe to ignore these data/field types.

Regards,
 kaushik