Subject: [Nea] Updates to PA-TNC in revision -05

From: "Paul Sangster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 15:29:50 -0700

As you probably noticed, the editors of the PA-TNC specification have
released an update to the document based upon comments made during IESG
review and the IETF 75 meeting in Sweden.  
 
The changes to the specification were relatively minor and are
summarized below:
o Section 1.1 (relationship to TNC) - removed in favor of a brief
mention in the acknowlegement section
o Section 3.1 & 3.3 - minor editorial rewordings
o Section 3.6 (PA-TNC field types) - removed as it wasn't required to
specify the protocol and wasn't used by rest of document
o Section 4.1 - updated text to clarity limitation of attribute length
field (PA exists within a PB TLV which also uses a 32 bit length)
o Section 4.2.1 - added text to clarify why Attribute Request support is
a SHOULD (not a MUST)
o Section 4.2.4 - fixed wording mistake in Config Len description
o Section 4.2.5 - emphasize compliance with date-time ABNF production in
RFC 3339
o Section 4.2.5 - minor wording changes to clarify protocol and port
number registries used
o Section 4.2.10 (remediation instructions) - restructured text and
added diagrams to match remainder of spec.
o Section 4.2.10.2 - new section adding fields that allow the
remediation string to be tagged with an RFC 4646 language tag.  This
approach mirrors what was done in PB-TNC for including a language tag
for the reason string.  The remediation string is likely to be displayed
to a user or administrator so language tags seemed appropriate.
o Section 5.1.2 - new bullet regarding remediation instructions
o Section 5.2 - removal of mention of the PA-TNC security protocol
o Section 5.2.2 - discussion of risks associated with posture collector
performing potentially hostile remediation instructions from posture
validator
o Section 7.3 - inclusion several newly (in -04) added attribute types
(e.g. forwarding enabled) to IANA table
o Section 7.4 & 7.5 - added reserved values (zero) to IANA list
o Section 8 - brief acknowledgement of TCG proposing specification
o Section 9.1 - added RFC 4646 and 3986 to normative references section
o Section 9.2 - removed reference to PA-TNC security protocol proposed
I-D
 
The new text and subsections in section 4.2.10 was the largest change,
and followed the approach approved by the WG in prior PB-TNC versions
(for the Reason String) and as discussed in Sweden.
 
Paul