Subject: [nemo] IPv4 Live Demonstration - Presentations

From: William Ivancic <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 09:29:50 -0500

On November 6th, NASA Glenn, the US Coast Guard, the US Army Command 
Control and Communications (CECOM) and various vendors performed a live 
demonstration of mobile routing.   The presentations documents are 
available at the following password protected URL:

http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~ivancic/secure_mobile_networks/smn.html

user:  secure_mobile_networks
passwd:  neahbay

All documents are unclassified and available to the general public.

I plan on submitting an ID regarding securing mobile networks with emphasis 
on placement of encryption and what needs to be done if layer-3 encryptors 
are placed between the MR and FA.  There are issues regarding passing 
broadcast or multicast packets and decrementing TTL.  We had to do have 
Western Datacom configure their encryptors to what probably is currently 
non-standard for IPSec.  I believe you are suppose to decrement the TTL by 
one when tunneling.  Thus, a specification or option may have to be added 
to either the mobile-ip specification or the IPSec tunneling specification 
for mobile-ip to work in this configuration.  Sorry if this explanation is 
a bit weak.  It will be presented in detail in the ID I hope to produce 
before the end of December.   (See the Western Datacom "Tactical" and the 
Cisco presentations for the network configurations.)  For the USCG 
demonstration, we just protected their LAN so we did not have this TTL problem.

Also,  in the code we were using, there is an ability to have prioritized 
home agents (reparenting the HA).  This is a very useful feature in 
allowing for site diversity for home agents.   This is useful for things 
like air travel between continents, but also appears to be very useful for 
simple site diversity in order to have a more robust network.

Will