Subject: RE: [nemo] RE: about the Home Network Models WG item

From: "Pascal Thubert \(pthubert\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 14:17:43 +0100

| -----Original Message-----
| From: Alexandru Petrescu [mailto:[email-masked]]
| Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 1:48 PM
| To: Pascal Thubert (pthubert)
| Cc: nemo
| Subject: Re: [nemo] RE: about the Home Network Models WG item
| 
| Pascal Thubert (pthubert) wrote:
| > The HoA from MNP is orthogonal, could be done in all modes
| 
| HoA from MNP may be "orthogonal" to all modes, but can not be done in
| all modes.  An LFN on the Home Link can not talk to a neighbour MR
that
| is away from home if that MR has HoA from MNP, because HA can not do
| proxy ND for a HoA that is not on the Home Link.  So, to me, there
exist
| a simple basic mode in which HoA is not from MNP.
| 

The HA would need to proxy ND the whole prefix. Not only to ping the MR,
but also any MNN. In the draft: 
"  Thus, the Home Agent MUST intercept all the packets to the MNNs on
   the registered prefixes.  In order to do so, the Home Agent might
   perform ND proxying for all addresses in all registered Mobile
   Network Prefixes, and protect the MNP space from autoconfiguration by
   uncontrolled visitors on the Home Link.
"

Pascal

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 14:34:39 +0100

Pascal Thubert (pthubert) wrote:
> | that
> | exist
> The HA would need to proxy ND the whole prefix. Not only to ping the
> MR, but also any MNN. In the draft: "  Thus, the Home Agent MUST
> intercept all the packets to the MNNs on the registered prefixes.  In
> order to do so, the Home Agent might perform ND proxying for all
> addresses in all registered Mobile Network Prefixes, and protect the
> MNP space from autoconfiguration by uncontrolled visitors on the Home
> Link. "

A-ha!  So without the HA proxying all addresses in all MNPs in its BC 
the "HoA from MNP" can not work.  HA proxying for all addresses in all 
MNPs in its BC is something that can not be implemented.  Why?  At least 
because proxy NA is sent periodically, becoming an overload.  Am I 
missing something?

What does "HA protects the MNP space from autoconfiguration by 
uncontrolled visitors on the Home Link" mean?

Is it that HA defends a certain HoA from a certain BC-registered MNP, by 
sending proxy Neighbour Advertisements? ("defends" in that when a 
visitor tries to autoconfigure an address based on MNP, its DAD fails 
because of the NA sent by the HA on behalf of MR).  But how would a 
visitor on the home link autoconfigure an address based on MNP if that 
MNP is not present in an RA?  Or is anybody sending RAs on the home link 
with the MNP?

Alex