Subject: [nemo] why RO is desirable

From: "Pascal Thubert \(pthubert\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 18:40:34 +0100

Thierry Ernst wrote:

| There are 2 reasons why RO is desirable:
| 
| 1. you have a high quantity of traffic and transmitting all these
| packets via the home agent would consume to many network resources if
| the CN is relatively closer to the MNN on the direct path.
| 
| 2. you have a small quantity of traffic, but it is very sensitive to
| delay, so you need the shortest path if the CN is relatively closer to
| the MNN on the direct path.
| 

I would add a 3rd one which comes from the radio. Each radio hop adds a
probability of loss. If the traffic becomes useless at a given degree of
loss, RO might be highly desirable. 

One example of that is MNN to MNN RO, which might save a number of radio
hops in a (fixed or mobile) mesh network. What do you think?

Pascal