Subject: [nemo] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nemo-prefix-delegation-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Mobility Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Mobile Network Prefix Delegation
	Author(s)	: T. Kniveton, P. Thubert
	Filename	: draft-ietf-nemo-prefix-delegation-00.txt
	Pages		: 27
	Date		: 2005-8-22
	
   This paper extends the Nemo Basic Support [10] for a Mobile Router to
   synchronize its Mobile Network Prefixes with its Home Agents and
   obtain new ones dynamically.  The proposed prefix delegation
   mechanism is agnostic to the way the prefixes are managed and
   provisioned at the Home Agent; it might be used for bootstrapping,
   resynchronization at binding creation or after a loss of states (eg
   MR reboot), MNP Renumbering, and configuration checking for loop
   avoidance.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nemo-prefix-delegation-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-nemo-prefix-delegation-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nemo-prefix-delegation-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:11:02 -0700

I quickly glanced through this draft and have one concern.

>    Prefix Status (S) The Prefix Status (S) bit is set by a MR to request
>    the full list of all prefixes that are already assigned to it

I dont like the new 'S' bit in the Binding Update and Binding
Acknowledgement. bits are scarce, especially in the Binding
Ack. instead why dont we introduce a bit in the Mobile Network
Prefix Request option (section 6.4), which when set means the
MR wants to know all the prefixes assigned to it and when not
set, means the MR wishes to a get a new prefix assigned to it
as a MNP? I am assuming the MR includes the Mobile Network
Prefix Request option in both cases (getting the list of
MNPs or a new MNP). and for the response the HA could set a
bit in the prefix option (that carries the prefixes) to
indicate the response contains the complete list of prefixes.

section 3.3 does not seem to justify the new bit in the BU.
maybe I am missing something?

>    It is important that the HA set that bit in its full list of prefixes
>    in order to differentiate between an empty list (there is no prefix
>    for that MR) and no list (HA is not providing a list in that BA).

what is the difference between an empty list and a no list?

a minor comment

>    The reader of that document is expected to be familiar with both the
>    Mobile IPv6 [8] and NEMO Basic Support [10] documents.  As such, it
>    is well understood that neither protocol provides the means for
>    provisioning the Mobile Nodes and Routers with essential parameters
>    such as Home Address and Home Network.

we do have a bootstrapping solution for MIP6 now. :)
draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-split-00.txt.

Vijay

[email-masked] wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce