Subject: [nemo] Split Networks:Query

From: Sameer Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:35:44 +0530

Hi all,

      I have a doubt regarding the concept of "Split Networks" in NEMO.
Split Networks comprise the case (n,1,1): Multiple MRs, Single HA, Single
MNP.

   Figure 1. below depicts the Split Network scenario. No "split" has
occured. MR1 and MR2 are together.

                        MR1

                      |  _  |

                      |-|_|-|  _____  

                      | p<- |-|     |  _   |  _

                   _  |     | |     |-|_|--|-|_|HA

               MNN|_|-|     | |     |  AR  |

                      |  _  |-|_____|

                      |-|_|-| INTERNET  

                      |p<-  |

                        MR2

              Figure 1: (n,1,1): Multiple MRs, 1 HA, 1 MNP

In this case, HA can send packets destined to MNN via MR1, or MR2 (Load
Balancing). The same situation in a wireless deployment is shown in Figure
2. Here also, we consider the case when no "split" has occurred i.e. MR1 and
MR2 are together.

                               AP1   MR1

                              _ _     _  |

                             / |_|---|_|-|  _____  

                          _ /  p<-       |-|     |  _   |  _

                      MNN|_|             | |     |-|_|--|-|_|HA

                                         | |     |  AR  |

                                _     _  |-|_____|

                               |_|---|_|-| INTERNET  

                              p<-        |

                               AP2   MR2

                     Figure 2: (n,1,1) : Multiple MRs, 1 HA, 1 MNP in a
Wireless Scenario

In Figure 2. MNN is currently attached to the Access Point (AP1) of MR1. I
have the following questions:

a)If HA tries to send packets to MNN via MR2, how will these packets reach
MNN? Basically how is "Load Balancing" 

  possible for a case (n,1,1) in a practical wireless deployment?

b)Is it that the AP1 and AP2 are "physically connected"? If so, then does
the term "split" means a "physical split"?

Thanks and Regards,

Sameer Kumar.