Subject: [nemo] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nemo-ro-problem-statement-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Mobility Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Network Mobility Route Optimization Problem Statement
	Author(s)	: C. Ng, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-nemo-ro-problem-statement-01.txt
	Pages		: 25
	Date		: 2005-10-11
	
With current Network Mobility (NEMO) Basic Support, all
   communications to and from Mobile Network Nodes must go through the
   bi-directional tunnel established between the Mobile Router and Home
   Agent when the mobile network is away.  This results in various
   inefficiencies associated with packet delivery.  This document
   investigates such inefficiencies, and provides for the motivation
   behind Route Optimization (RO) for NEMO.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nemo-ro-problem-statement-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-nemo-ro-problem-statement-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nemo-ro-problem-statement-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Chan-Wah Ng <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:22:47 +0800

Hello all,

just a quick note on the changes from -00 to -01:

      *  Added text on effect on TCP contributed by Carlos in Sect 2.1 -
         "Sub-Optimality with NEMO Basic Support"

      *  Added text on VMN using CoA as source address in Appendix B.4.3

      *  Re-written Section 2.5 - "Security Policy Prohibiting Traffic
         From Visiting Nodes"

      *  Replaced "deadlock" with "stalemate" in Section 2.7.

      *  Minor typographical corrections

/rgds
/cwng

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 10:50 -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
> reference to remote file attachment
> Content-Type: Message/External-body; access-type="mail-server";
> server="[email-masked]"
> 
> Content-Type: text/plain
> Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
> 
> ENCODING mime
> FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nemo-ro-problem-statement-01.txt
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:19:59 +0100

Suggestions I have,

> behind Route Optimization (RO) for NEMO.

So either call the draft "inefficiencies of NEMO", or alternatively do
the following.  Resume the problems of NEMO basic protocol that relate
to RO in a few lines.  Put these lines in the abstract.  For example:

"With NEMO Basic Support protocol, IP paths for application-layer data
 are artificially including the fixed HA of every Mobile Router, even
 when nested.  This leads to multi-angular routing, while shorter IP
 paths would avoid the Home Agents.  Additionally, the number of tunnel
 encapsulation layers when using nested moving networks may grow to a
 point that fragmentation becomes too heavy load.  Finally, there exist
 at least one simple mobility configuration ("mobile" HA, MH at home
 below MR) that is not supported by the NEMO Basic Support protocol.
 This document formulates the above problems."

Or something along these lines, I mean concentrate the document into the
abstract and clearly articulate one of the problems that really breaks
something, or that shows NEMO Basic Support is useless in that case.
And shortly :-)

> 2.  NEMO Route Optimization Problem Statement
> 
>    In essence, the goal of Route Optimization in NEMO is to reduce
>    limitations and sub-optimalities introduced by the bi-directional
>    tunnel between a Mobile Router and its Home Agent (also known as the
>    MRHA tunnel).

Compare to this:

> 2. NEMO RO problem statement
>
>    Given the NEMO Basic Support protocol all IP paths for application
>    data is forced through the Home Agent, although shorter paths exist
>    between LFN and CN (application runs between LFN and CN).
>    Additionally, with multiple MRs and nested moving networks several
>    levels of encapsulation are used for that application data, whereas
>    it is be possible to use none.
>
>    Multi-angular routing through HAs and multiple encapsulation lead
>    to the following inneficiencies: ...

So a problem statement is a problem statement, not a list of
inefficiencies that are addressed by the goals of some RO solutions.

Overall I like the document, it's short and easy to grasp for me, thanks
for maintaining it.

Alex

Chan-Wah Ng wrote:

> *  Re-written Section 2.5 - "Security Policy Prohibiting Traffic From
> Visiting Nodes"
> 
> /rgds /cwng
>> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
>> directories. This draft is a work item of the Network Mobility
>> Working Group of the IETF.
>> 
>> Author(s)	: C. Ng, et al. Filename	:
>> draft-ietf-nemo-ro-problem-statement-01.txt Pages		: 25 Date		:
>> 2005-10-11  With current Network Mobility (NEMO) Basic Support, all
>>  communications to and from Mobile Network Nodes must go through
>> the bi-directional tunnel established between the Mobile Router and
>> Home Agent when the mobile network is away.  This results in
>> various inefficiencies associated with packet delivery.  This
>> document investigates such inefficiencies, and provides for the
>> motivation behind Route Optimization (RO) for NEMO.
>> 
>> To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message
>> to [email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the
>> body of the message. You can also visit
>> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce to change your
>> subscription settings.
>> 
>> 
>> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
>> username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
>> logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then "get
>> draft-ietf-nemo-ro-problem-statement-01.txt".
>> 
>> http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or
>> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>> 
>> 
>> Send a message to: [email-masked]. In the body type: "FILE
>> /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nemo-ro-problem-statement-01.txt".  
>> command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or a
>> MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers 
>> "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split up
>> into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on how
>> to manipulate these messages.   Below is the data which will enable
>> a MIME compliant mail reader implementation to automatically
>> retrieve the ASCII version of the Internet-Draft. reference to
>> remote file attachment Content-Type: Message/External-body;
>> access-type="mail-server"; server="[email-masked]"
>> 
>> Content-Type: text/plain Content-ID:
>> <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> ENCODING mime FILE
>> /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nemo-ro-problem-statement-01.txt 
>> _______________________________________________ I-D-Announce
>> mailing list [email-masked]