Subject: [nemo] NEMO simulation in ns-2

From: Simon Oosthoek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:59:49 +0200

Hi all

We're trying to code an extension to ns-2 for simulating NEMO. The code 
will probably be in part based on mobiwan. However, before we put too 
much effort into this, I was wondering if people here are aware of any 
existing ns-2 implementations that are freely available already?

If not, what would be the minimum requirement regarding functionality of 
the HA/MR to allow a meaningful simulation of NEMO to be done in ns-2?

We intend to release this extension if it would get to the point of 
being usable and publishable ;-)

TIA

Simon

PS, we're also working on theoretical work on using NEMO for building 
Personal Networks (www.ist-magnet.org)

-- 
phone:(+31|0)53 4810319
fax:  (+31|0)53 4810333
[email-masked]
http://www.ti-wmc.nl/

---

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:49:30 +0900

Hi Simon,

I'm not sure this list is the right venue for a discussion on NS, but I
think your enquiry deserve to be dealt with because I do suspect that
quite a few people did have / are / will contemplate NEMO simulation,
using NS or other tools.

My personal answer is that if you do have some code, that would be nice
to make it public and some people will definitely use it, once it's
posted. Any pointer like a URL would be nice, together with the NS
version you are considering extending.

Minimum requirement: it's pretty hard to answer, as it depends on the
type of simulation. Some people may be interested in RO optimization
protocols, other of the behavior of transport protocols over nested NEMO
with high velocity, other in multicast of NEMO. Some may be concerned by
the underlying wirless technology being used, other may not care so much
and would just need a rough emulation with some given packet loss. 

>From my experience (and from many others), it was pretty hard to deal
with the 802.11 internal - it did introduce a lot of complexity and
memory leak. So, if yourself you can live with no 802.11 simulation, I
would recommend to draft something independent from the underlying L2 -
all is needed is a link that is not added in the routing fabric and for
which you can specify some rough delay and packet loss. With such
feature, simulation of NEMO RO could easily be performed (to the
condition one can manipulate easily large or complex topologies, which
was the case thanks to the additional library in Mobiwan)

Thierry.

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:59:49 +0200
Simon Oosthoek <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi all
> 
> We're trying to code an extension to ns-2 for simulating NEMO. The
> code will probably be in part based on mobiwan. However, before we put
> too much effort into this, I was wondering if people here are aware of
> any existing ns-2 implementations that are freely available already?
> 
> If not, what would be the minimum requirement regarding functionality
> of the HA/MR to allow a meaningful simulation of NEMO to be done in
> ns-2?
>

---

From: Simon Oosthoek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 10:29:18 +0200

Hi Thierry

thanks for your quick reply

> version you are considering extending.

We have this URL, but it only contains an updated version of mobiwan for
ns-2.26. http://www.ti-wmc.nl/mobiwan2/

I think for a NEMO extension, we'll be using ns-2.29

> and would just need a rough emulation with some given packet loss. 

route optimisation is certainly on our agenda, because when dealing with
multimedia traffic or personal data, you want to avoid bouncing stuff
around.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, if we have something useful, we'll put it
on our site and notify ns-2 and perhaps announce it on the ietf list as
well. Meanwhile, if you know of anyone willing to cooperate on such an
implementation, please let us know!

Cheers

Simon

-- 
phone:(+31|0)53 4810319
fax:  (+31|0)53 4810333
[email-masked]
http://www.ti-wmc.nl/